Extending the documentation

Topics: Features, General Discussion
May 11, 2007 at 7:24 PM
Hi, i would like to extend the documentation, say, add a master index where the namespaces reference and inner topics currently generated would be an item of the index and others would be Architecture topics with software diagrams, maybe use cases, etc, etc...

It would be nice if somehow i can "do it" in the DocProject generated project/s and in the finally generated site/file all this is included, with the same shared components, styles, etc.

Just thinking at loud, maybe i can add a class to the project that derives or implements certain interface and in the generation process this is "transformed" to a topic...
Maybe this class can have images, code snippets, links to external documentation, etc.

Maybe later a visual editor for this class can be done, like when you create a typed DataSet (is too much ?)

i dont smoke anything if you ask, just thinking how this can come very much practical...
:-D

Coordinator
May 11, 2007 at 8:25 PM
Hi,

Those are some good ideas.

While designing DocProject I have already considered custom content, and that's what the partial-build functionality is for. The partial-build functionality allows you to add your own content by editing the workshop files. I've already written a little about that in the Build Process wiki.

You may want to read the following blog post that I made, which explains why I'm not currently focusing on content-based features in DocProject:

http://davesexton.com/blog/blogs/blog/archive/2007/04/26/docprojectRC150.aspx

The comments in that post also discuss custom HTML content in DocProject. I may blog in the future about that, so keep an eye out.

In the 1.6.0 RC you'll see my HtmlEditor, which provides a way to edit project and namespace summaries (you posted some comments on that particular work item ;). This may be the start of some type of topic editor, and maybe even a comment editor, but probably not before the first Sandcastle RTW.

Thanks.