Deployed site, content area "Page cannot be found"

Topics: DocSites, General Questions
May 18, 2007 at 11:10 AM
Edited May 18, 2007 at 11:21 AM
I have documented a C# class and tested it in debug mode, it works and looks great. When I deploy to a webserver everything works (menu, breadcrumb etc.) except for the content area where it displays a 404 message. Can anyone help? I hope I'm not being stupid.

The web server is Windows Server 2003 SP2 and has .Net2.0 and the required Ajax extensions installed on it, I also tried installing the Sandcastle.msi just incase but this made no difference.
May 18, 2007 at 2:48 PM
Hi Kurtz,

Thanks for the feedback :)

Did you upload the Html folder to the root of your website? The Html2 folder, if you've compiled Help 2.x, is not used by the website and probably shouldn't be uploaded anyway. I'll make a note of this in the DocSite Templates wiki for the next release.

The web application doesn't use the compiled help file for the content, but you may want to upload it as well so that the Download Compiled Help File link works too.

And check out this so you can be prepared when people ask you why the compiled help file is empty after they've downloaded it:

DocSite Template, Windows Security Issue

(It's just a setting on Windows XP + that needs to be modified by users so the contents become visible.)

- Dave
May 18, 2007 at 4:36 PM
Thanks Dave, that fixed it! Looks fantastic.

The HTML folder didn't upload because it wasn't included in the project, which is fine because I'm using sourcesafe so I wouldn't want to check them in with the project. Just needed to upload the HTML folder manually. Fortunately we don't need the compiled help but I might have a play anyway ;)
May 18, 2007 at 5:41 PM
Cool. I'm glad it works for you :)