Could Not Find DLL Files...

Topics: Bugs
Jun 21, 2007 at 2:45 PM
Is their a place I specifically have to place these extra DLL's that my application uses for DocProject to be able to see them?

Build started 6/21/2007 8:39:00 AM.
Target ResolveProjectReferences:
Target ResolveNativeReferences:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(1202,9): error MSB3114: Could not find file 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll' referenced by assembly 'C:\LocalWeb\JLFiberSolutions\SolutionsMain\bin\Release\SolutionsMain.exe.manifest'.
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(1202,9): error MSB3114: Could not find file 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll' referenced by assembly 'C:\LocalWeb\JLFiberSolutions\SolutionsMain\bin\Release\SolutionsMain.exe.manifest'.
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(1202,9): error MSB3114: Could not find file 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll' referenced by assembly 'C:\LocalWeb\JLFiberSolutions\SolutionsMain\bin\Release\SolutionsMain.exe.manifest'.
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(1202,9): error MSB3114: Could not find file 'System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll' referenced by assembly 'C:\LocalWeb\JLFiberSolutions\SolutionsMain\bin\Release\SolutionsMain.exe.manifest'.
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(1202,9): error MSB3114: Could not find file 'Reports\jlfiber.jpg' referenced by assembly 'C:\LocalWeb\JLFiberSolutions\SolutionsMain\bin\Release\SolutionsMain.exe.manifest'.
Done building target "ResolveNativeReferences" in project "Documentation_Solutions.vbproj" -- FAILED.

Done building project "Documentation_Solutions.vbproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Chet
Jun 21, 2007 at 4:23 PM
Hi Chet,

I just want you to know that I'm looking into this. It appears that a DocProject will fail when it references projects that were published with ClickOnce.

Thanks,

Dave
Jun 21, 2007 at 4:27 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2007 at 4:28 PM
Hi Chet,

Actually, I jumped to the wrong conclusion I think. Please ignore my comment about ClickOnce for now ;)

What exactly do I have to do to reproduce the problem that you posted?

Thanks,

Dave
Jun 23, 2007 at 2:32 AM
Hi Chet,

Upon further review of the information you've provided and some internet research it appears that the error you are experiencing is related to Visual Studio and not to DocProject, although I still don't know how to reproduce your exact error messages. For one thing, I don't know where the Solutions_Main.exe.manifest file has come from or why ResolveNativeReferences is being executed at all.

DocProjects are just class libraries that run a custom MSBuild task after the standard Build task that normal projects execute. DocProject does not use the ResolveNativeReferences task, so Visual Studio must be invoking it. From the information you've provided it seems that DocProject's build tasks hadn't even started when the errors occurred.

I suspect that if you create another VB.NET class library project and try to reference the same sources you'll see the same result when you try to build. If not then please let me know.

I'd really like to know how I can reproduce the problem on my own machine so if you can find the time please let me know what steps I can take.

I mentioned ClickOnce at first because I had just discovered a bug in Visual Studio that was related to VB.NET projects that reference projects published with ClickOnce.

And most importantly, I've implemented a feature for the next release that may alleviate this problem for you:

External Sources

Thanks,
Dave