Build Error

Topics: General Questions
Jul 1, 2007 at 11:48 AM
Edited Jul 1, 2007 at 12:09 PM
It is first DocProject and sandcasle project for me and this is the error on the first build:

Error 1 The "BuildDocProject" task failed unexpectedly.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationElementCollection.BaseGet(Object key)
at DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.Configuration.PresentationCollection.get_Item(String name)
at DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.SandcastleSettings..ctor(IBuildEngine engine)
at DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.SandcastleBuildEngineProvider.CreateBuildSettings(IBuildEngine engine)
at DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildEngine`2.get_Settings()
at DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildEngine`2.Build()
at DaveSexton.DocProject.BuildController.Build(IDocProject project, BuildType buildType)
at DaveSexton.DocProject.BuildController.Build(IDocProject project)
at DaveSexton.DocProject.MSBuild.BuildDocProject.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteTask(ExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Hashtable projectItemsAvailableToTask, BuildPropertyGroup projectPropertiesAvailableToTask, Boolean& taskClassWasFound) Documentation

I did see same error in one of the discussions but Adding MSHelpCompiler doesn't help for some reason.
Thanks,
Shimon
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2007 at 12:12 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2007 at 12:21 PM
Hi,

Others received that error because Microsoft had released a refresh version of the Sandcastle June 2007 CTP not long after its original release. The refresh version renamed the VS Orcas style to Hana. I assume that you're not using 1.6.2 Release Candidate and that you've chosen VS Orcas, but it doesn't actually exist on your system.

The refresh version can be found at the same location as before although it's not marked as a refresh. I suggest that you uninstall DocProject, download Sandcastle and install it, and then reinstall DocProject. Please let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,
Dave
Jul 1, 2007 at 12:59 PM
Thanks.
I will try to update Sandcasle and will try 1.6.2. Do I need to change anything in my DocProject?
Thanks,
Shimon
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2007 at 1:20 PM
Hi Shimon,

You'll probably have to create a new DocProject since the selected presentation may be invalid. But you can try to build it first to see.

- Dave