Untrusted component (1.6.2 install problem)

Topics: General Questions
Jul 9, 2007 at 3:29 PM
I used a previous version of DocProject (don't remember the version) with a previous version of Sandcastle (don't remember the version) successfully. When I found out about the newest version of the addin, I uninstalled DocProject and Sandcastle, then installed Sandcastle June 2007 CTP and DocProject 1.6.2. The first time I ran VS2005, I received an error message about the Dave Sexton AddIn, such that VS2005 wanted to rename the addin to resolve the problem. Never the less, the DocProject template still appeared in my New Project dialog (although I suspect this was a left over from the first installation of DocProject that was not removed). When I tried to create a project from this template, I received this error:

this template attempted to load an untrusted component 'DaveSexton.DocProjectAddin, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=85122e4f402655d6'. Blah, blah, blah

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall a couple of times now and keep getting the same behavior. Any advise on how to get around this issue? I do have VS2005 SP1 installed. Is that related to this problem?

Thanks.
Brad
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2007 at 4:28 PM
Hi Brad,

It sounds like you have some remaining artifacts on your system. That could happen if you were using DocProject 1.2.* or older, built the source code, or reconfigured Visual Studio's Add-In and template paths after installing DocProject. There may be other ways that could happen as well.

First, I suggest looking in the Application event log for errors with DocProject as the source to see if there were any problems while uninstalling the previous version. There should also be information and a stack trace related to the last error that you got when the Add-In couldn't be loaded. If there is no error in the stack trace then it's probably an issue with Visual Studio not being able to resolve the assembly reference.

I suggest that you try the following steps:

  1. Uninstall DocProject and Sandcastle.
  2. If you've installed DocProject for Just Me:
    1. browse to your My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Addins\ folder and delete the DocProject Add-In file if it exists.
    2. browse to your My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C# and Visual Basic folders and delete the DocProject folder and its contents.
  3. If you've installed DocProject for Everyone:
    1. For Vista, browse to your C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins folder and for pre-Vista C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins and delete the DocProject Add-In file if it exists.
      1. Note: These folders may be different if you've configured the search folders in Visual Studio to have different paths.
    2. browse to your C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp and VisualBasic folders and delete the DocProject folder and its contents.
  4. Browse to your DocProject installation folder (commonly, C:\Program Files\Dave Sexton\DocProject) and make sure that it either doesn't exist or at least doesn't contain anything aside from maybe some Windows Installer files that were left over and maybe a few empty folders. You can then delete the entire directory.
  5. Open Windows Explorer to C:\windows\assembly (or possibly C:\winnt\assembly, depending upon your OS) and remove all of the DocProject-related assemblies by selecting each one individually and pressing the Delete key. Each assembly name starts with DaveSexton.DocProject....
  6. Try to reinstall Sandcastle first and then DocProject.
If you need further assistance then please let me know.

Thanks,
Dave