Setting up Deployment Options

Topics: Features, General Discussion
Jul 10, 2007 at 3:26 PM
Hello,

After having some discussions on documentation, I have another question regarding the Sandcastle/Deployment options.

I would really like DocSite to place everything it creates in the build process in a completely different directory (/Build/DocSite would be nice ;)). Based on our source control model, at the moment when DocSite builds its placed in the same directory as the source which causes a few problems and makes it more difficult for us. It would be great to have a nice split/distinction between what DocSite has built and what is included within the project at a folder level (not just in the solution).

I like how I can get the CHM uploaded to an FTP site as part of the process - any chance of the same with DocSite?

Also, any chance of it being a relative path? Or a path set at build time. Having to enter a known path at design time isn't great as we build everything into a single directory so being able to redirect the chm to that location at build time would be good. Or even if its just relative - like ../../Build/ which is what I am doing with the Assembly.

Cheers,

Ben :)
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2007 at 4:33 PM
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback, again ;)

I would really like DocSite to place everything it creates in the build process in a completely different directory (/Build/DocSite would be nice ;)).

I think I understand your goal, but are you referring to build output only, such as the .hhp, .hhc, .hhk, .chm, DocSiteContents.xml and DocSiteIndex.xml files, or every file that starts with the name DocSite... as well?

One problem with Sandcastle that Microsoft acknowledges (Anand Raman - MSFT) is hard-coded paths in the transformation files. There isn't much flexibility for using different output directory structures without modifying Sandcastle's transformations. This may present a problem depending upon what your needs are.

I like how I can get the CHM uploaded to an FTP site as part of the process - any chance of the same with DocSite?

Yes. You could add a feature request to the Issue Tracker and I'll consider it for a subsequent release (although probably not the next one, but we'll see).

The original purpose of the Sandcastle Deployment Plugin, although somewhat useful, was that it served as an example of how to extend DocProject. If you're up for it, you may want to try creating your own plug-in for your organization.

Also, any chance of it being a relative path? Or a path set at build time.

Yes, I can make the deployment configuration accept a relative path too - that's a good idea. I wonder though how you could set the path at build time? Would you want a prompt before or after the build, or something else?

Thanks,
Dave
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2007 at 9:46 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM
Hi Ben,

Compiled help and supporting files in 1.8.0 are built in a Help folder, as per the work item. Although due to limitations in Sandcastle's transformation files, this folder also contains Sandcastle's Presentation, Icons, Styles and Scripts folders as well. DocProject also stores artwork in the Help\Art folder and comments in the Help\Comments folder, just to keep everything together. The DocSiteContents.xml and DocSiteIndex.xml files are now saved to the project's App_Data folder.

I just mentioned something about the output directory structure for 1.8.0 in another thread: Output path for compiled help files, and I'm considering adding a build step that would copy the .chm and .HxS to the project's output directory.

Is this behavior acceptable for your scenario?

Thanks,
Dave