Static HTML Help

Topics: DocSites, Features, General Discussion
Aug 24, 2007 at 9:24 AM
Hello Dear

Can you tell me, if it is possible to create a static html help, without needing an asp.net webserver to view this site? --> Like Sandcastle does
Thanks for your help

Cis
Coordinator
Aug 24, 2007 at 9:38 AM
Hi Cis,

If you choose the DocProject template instead of the DocSite template then Sandcastle will generate all of the HTML topic files without the ASP.NET stuff.

However, like Sandcastle DocProject does not provide a static HTML frame with a TOC and index. Other tools that automate Sandcastle may though.

- Dave
Coordinator
Aug 24, 2007 at 9:53 AM
Hi Cis,

By the way, have you tried building Help 1.x output (.chm file)? Is that not acceptable?

- Dave
Aug 24, 2007 at 10:23 AM
Edited Aug 24, 2007 at 10:27 AM
Hello Dave

First, thanks for you fast response.

I evaluated the "normal" C# Project first, and then thought that i might have to create an asp.web application. Then, as you gave me a answer i tried with the "normal" project-type. I used the Help V 2.0 to build the help (but i did in the asp.web application project type)

You said "like Sandcastle, DocProject does not provide a static HTML frame with a TOC and index" (maybe this was in march CTP?) but the June CTP of Sandcastle does support indexing in a separate frame (in a static html page).

However, im now building a help-project as you said and will give a further response to this thread.
But i think i will be more than satisfied with the result.

@Edit, maybe i misunderstood you.
I need static html Files (and no .chm File) because i will send this Documentation to our consultants, partners and maybe customers, so i cant set a requirement for a installed visual studio msdn help or a ASP.WEB service.

Cis


davedev wrote:
Hi Cis,

By the way, have you tried building Help 1.x output (.chm file)? Is that not acceptable?

- Dave

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:17 AM
Hello again

I've just tested the help result with Help V1 and V2 and to my surprise, the Help File V2 WebSite was not that good as the Version 1 (some links in the upper navigation do not work properly in V2).

Index would be cool, but is not a must have for me, so I'm really satisfied with the output.
Any other informations i should post?

Thanks for your time and help
Greetings

Cis
Coordinator
Aug 24, 2007 at 11:20 AM
Hi Cis,

I'm curious to know where the static HTML frame page is located in your Sandcastle installation. I don't see it in mine. Or is there some setting or transformation that I can use to generate it? If so, I can certainly add that as a feature to DocProject.

Anyway, .CHM is a standard Windows help format that should work on all of your client's systems without having to install anything else. It does not require Visual Studio or a web server. I highly recommend it instead of sending them a static HTML page and a large folder of HTML files. .CHM also provides a full-text search and some other features that I'm sure your clients will want.

HTH
- Dave
Aug 24, 2007 at 11:46 AM
Edited Aug 24, 2007 at 11:47 AM
I think i have not done some special settings to my sandcastle project.

Settings i did in Sandcastle UI Project Properties Dialog;

- ProjectProperties/Build/HelpFileFormat = Help2xandWebsite
- ProjectProperties/Paths/OutPutPath = "D:\Temp\Help" <-- this one was manually entered by me
- ProjectProperties/WorkingPath = ".\Sandcastle" <-- i think this one was generated

Then on the Filesystem the Page was at the following path;
D:\Temp\Help\Index.html --> Including both, Index.aspx and Index.html

Hope this helps?

PS: The tip with the .chm file is really god, i will discuss it with our development leader.


davedev wrote:
Hi Cis,

I'm curious to know where the static HTML frame page is located in your Sandcastle installation. I don't see it in mine. Or is there some setting or transformation that I can use to generate it? If so, I can certainly add that as a feature to DocProject.

Anyway, .CHM is a standard Windows help format that should work on all of your client's systems without having to install anything else. It does not require Visual Studio or a web server. I highly recommend it instead of sending them a static HTML page and a large folder of HTML files. .CHM also provides a full-text search and some other features that I'm sure your clients will want.

HTH
- Dave

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2007 at 12:26 PM
Hi Cis,

I get it now :)

You're using SHFB, which is actually not Sandcastle. It's just another community project like DocProject. I was looking for the HTML page in Sandcastle's installation directory ;)

- Dave
Aug 24, 2007 at 12:46 PM
Ohoh, sorry :-)


davedev wrote:
Hi Cis,

I get it now :)

You're using SHFB, which is actually not Sandcastle. It's just another community project like DocProject. I was looking for the HTML page in Sandcastle's installation directory ;)

- Dave

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2007 at 1:56 PM
It's no problem. I was wondering how I could have missed that... :)