Output path for compiled help files

Topics: Features, General Discussion, General Questions, Help 1.x/2.x
Sep 11, 2007 at 9:52 AM
Edited Sep 11, 2007 at 9:53 AM
How i can specify output path for generating help files (.chm, Hx*, etc)?
By default, this files generated directly in project directory, but i want to place it to some subdirectory.
Sep 11, 2007 at 10:07 AM
Hi,

Aside from overriding the appropriate properties in a custom build engine, the only other way to do that now is to use the Sandcastle/Deployment Plug-in to have the output copied somewhere else after the build, although the project root will still be the build target.

But in the next version, 1.8.0 Release Candidate, the files are automatically output in a subdirectory named Help, as per the following work item: Revise Directory Structure

- Dave
Sep 11, 2007 at 10:08 AM
I should add that once the Sandcastle tranformations provide a way to configure the paths for certain input and output I'll probably have DocProject generate the compiled help directly to the bin folder instead. But don't expect that in 1.8.0.
Sep 12, 2007 at 5:53 PM
Hi,

I'm now thinking about adding an extra build step that simply moves the compiled help files (.chm; .HxS) to the project's output directory. Will that be acceptable in your scenario?

However, I'm going to leave the HTML Help Workshop supporting files (e.g., project, TOC and index; 1.x and 2.x) in the Help directory (new to 1.8.0) since they're really just intermediary output that can be edited using DocProject's partial build feature, although technically they're also build output.

If the Sandcastle team adds some configurable paths to the transformation files then I'll change the compiled help's working directory to buildhelp, but for now it will have to remain as the Help folder unfortunately.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,
Dave