DocProject 1.70RC producing 116 byte project.xml file

Topics: General Questions
Sep 18, 2007 at 12:35 AM
While I was able to get DocProject up and running quite quickly, and while I was able to produce output for the various assemblies I included in the project's references, I am not seeing any of my existing xml documentation comments in the resulting .chm file.

After doing a bit of a search of these discussions, one mentioned checking the project.xml file in the buildhelp\assembler\Comments folder as a way to tell which end of things the problem might be on. I have checked that file and noted that it is an essentially empty file of 116 bytes, hence the subject line. Another discussion mentioned the Merge xml documentation Overwrite versus KeepSource settings, so I tried both without effect.

I've taken a spin through the wiki in search for any steps I might have missed along the way but haven't spotted anything that points in the right direction.

Any suggestions?
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2007 at 1:42 AM
Hi,

First, thanks for searching first before posting your question ;)

If you can confirm that at least one of your source projects is producing an XML documentation file that contains your code comments, then you should see it in the buildhelp\assembler\Comments directory, along with the project.xml file.

By any chance are you building with the Release configuration selected? This is a known bug that has been fixed for the 1.8.0 RC release (see the following work item: Use Selected Configuration and Platform).

The project.xml file contains the project summary and namespace summaries only and so it's probably not what you're looking for.

The merge setting is only used for documentation written in the API Topic Management Dialog. It cannot be used to suppress all of your code comments unless it's set to Overwrite and you've explicitly set every single API member's XML documentation sections to empty using DocProject's XML documentation editor. (doubtful :)

- Dave
Sep 18, 2007 at 8:13 PM
Thanks for your quick and helpful response!

I can confirm that I had a brainfart, and did not have the projects set to output xml documentation files. :)