"Cannot load xml documentation file" Warning

Topics: General Questions, Help 1.x/2.x, Sandcastle
Sep 24, 2007 at 10:39 AM
Edited Sep 24, 2007 at 12:10 PM
Hello Dear

Im getting the following warning;

Warning 1 Cannot load xml documentation file, \"%PROJECT_FOLDER%\buildhelp\assembler\Comments\xxx.xml\" due to the following error:
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundExceptionCould not find a part of the path '%PROJECT_FOLDER%\buildhelp\assembler\Comments\xxx.xml'.

I've changed the settings as posted in this thread;

http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=14346
--> Changed .\Comments to Comments\*.xml in all three sandcastle.config files.

This did not solve the problem. --> I created a new Project after doing this.

- My Project was created from scratch (with newest june sandcastle preview and latest Version of this DocProject).
- Produce Help 1.0x and Produce Help 2.x are set to true;
- Merge XML Documentation is set to overwrite (more or less default, like all other settings)

It seems that the buildprogress works fine without getting a error, but this warning occurs after finishing.
Can anybody tell me what im doing wrong?
Thanks

Greetings

Cis
Sep 24, 2007 at 12:09 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2007 at 12:28 PM
Additional Information;

The subfolder assembler\comments does not exist in my projectfolder, but i did not find this path in the xml config files...

Maybe the projekt-template file did not update/is wrong?
Sep 24, 2007 at 12:55 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2007 at 1:09 PM
Funny;

In my endless desperation ;-), i checked the "Output\XML Documentation File" Option on the Project tab. Then the compiler threw several cryptic exception messages (when i tried to build). But it seems, that in this process he creates the folders assembler and all subfolders.
Sep 24, 2007 at 3:36 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2007 at 3:38 PM
Hi Cis,

There's a bug that has been fixed for the 1.8.0 RC and it seems that it might apply to your situation: Missing Merge Xml Docs - FileNotFoundException.

Changing .\comments.xml to Comments\*.xml in the sandcastle.config files found in Sandcastle's installation folder is not recommended. You may want to change them back, although the changes shouldn't have any negative affect on DocProject :)

If you still need more help then please post the information in the build output window and any recent error information in the Application Event Log that applies.

- Dave
Sep 25, 2007 at 7:30 AM
Edited Sep 25, 2007 at 7:31 AM
Hello Dave

First, thanks for your help. I changed the settings back to original.
I am still searching the failure, I'm not sure where the source is at.

My situation was as following;
- The "help compiler" created my project without any failure.
- The warning occured as i described above (a handled exception, but not the missing merge xml Docs FileNotFoundException).
The compiler can not find the directories buildhelp\.... (the subfolders of buildhelp) but the folder buildhelp does exist.
- So i did what i wrote (i checked the build xml comments checkbox on the projectfolder and did a buid) this build had failures, but i thought that he created the needed folders (assembler, assembler\comments,assembler\intellisense, assembler\output).
- I had an open explorer on this folder, as i started a new build, i note that the folder was deleted and now newly created (because my windows explorer window did show the deletions).

So it is possible, that some other failures occured in the buildprocess so that he did not create the needed folders.
Im still trying to fix this, the buildprocess is pretty long so it could take some time to further response to this post.
Because im not sure if this is a "real bug" i would not like to steal your time until i know more.

Greetings

Changing .\comments.xml to Comments\*.xml in the sandcastle.config files found in Sandcastle's installation folder is not recommended. You may want to change them back, although the changes shouldn't have any negative affect on DocProject :)
- Dave

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:33 PM
Hi Cis,

Did you check the Application event log for errors?

Also, it would really help if you post your build output. At this point I still don't really understand where the warning is occurring during the process.

If you'd prefer you can send the build output and error information to me using my private contact form.

- Dave
Sep 26, 2007 at 10:34 AM
Hello Dave

I'm sorry, i just can't reproduce this failure behavior now. I did not save the output unfortunately, so i think you can delete this post.
The directories are now created properly.

The warning was occurred quite after, or short before the "complete build" message, it looked like it was a "post build" job that could not copy the completed output to the directories i listed in the earlier posts.

-> Maybe there was a lock on the directory or a other app witch caused this missbehavior.

Sorry for this.
If i will get this errormessage in future, i will post the output to this thread and give a more detailed errordescription (or what i did wrong to cause this failure).

Thanks a lot!
Sep 26, 2007 at 2:05 PM
Hi Cis,

I understand that you didn't save the build output, but the error should have been logged in the Application event log, which may provide a stack trace that can be useful in determining the cause of the error. If there's no error event logged please let me know because that may indicate a different bug: missing diagnostics code :)

Anyway, if it happens again please let me know and I'll try to diagnose the problem.

- Dave
Sep 26, 2007 at 2:41 PM
Murphy sais....

I just had a look at my application Event-Log and i have a other bug (or whatever);
http://www.ureader.com/message/1437613.aspx

My Application Log was flooded because i searched in .chm file :D, funny not?
Sep 26, 2007 at 3:31 PM
:)

FYI, if you're on Vista you can set up a filter (I don't recall if you can set filters on pre-Vista systems). I myself have a filter set up for "DocProject" so that it's easier to locate DocProject entries. If you haven't cleared the log and if you can set up a filter for Source=DocProject then you should still be able to locate a stack trace, if it's in there.

- Dave
Sep 27, 2007 at 8:11 AM
I'm with XP, and the Application Log has a filter feature too. But it seems that my log has been trashed (i did not clean it manually).
So, sorry again that i cant send you the log.

Greetings

davedev wrote:
:)

FYI, if you're on Vista you can set up a filter (I don't recall if you can set filters on pre-Vista systems). I myself have a filter set up for "DocProject" so that it's easier to locate DocProject entries. If you haven't cleared the log and if you can set up a filter for Source=DocProject then you should still be able to locate a stack trace, if it's in there.

- Dave