HTML TOC file?

Topics: General Questions, Sandcastle
Sep 25, 2007 at 11:52 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2007 at 11:54 PM
Hi - thanks for the tool. It's up and running and we're generating nicely. Except I don't need Help 1.x or 2.x files, I need a nice tree of HTML content (check) and the TOC (umm...). Although there's a toc.xml ready, must I apply a transform manually after DocProject completes? Shouldn't I be able to find for a "toc.htm" somewhere? Apologies if I've missed something, as I'm new to Sandcastle (5 min prior to DocProject, whcih was 5 minutes ago haha).

Essentially, I'm trying to get our build to dump out the TOC and content to our site and there's no real starting page.

Thanks
Jim
Sep 26, 2007 at 1:27 AM
Hi Jim,

There are two different types of project templates: DocProject Templates and DocSite Templates.

DocProjects simply run Sandcastle's tools to generate raw HTML topic files and, optionally, compiled help. However, DocProjects do not provide a GUI. If you don't need compiled help but you'd like to use the raw HTML files for your proprietary website then you may want to create a custom solution for the index and TOC.

DocSites provide an ASP.NET Web Application that works out-of-the-box and comes with a TOC and filterable index (among other features that you can read about in the link above).

There are also a number of new DocSite featuers that will be released as part of the 1.8.0 Release Candidate, which you can read about in my latest blog post: DocSites 1.8.0 Preview.

- Dave