Search times out

Topics: Bugs, DocSites
Oct 19, 2007 at 9:51 PM
Hi,

When searching the documentation via the website, it times out. Shame as it looks to be a cool feature.

Ben

Url:
http://beta.docs.mbunit.com/DocSiteSearch.aspx?q=Assert

Error:
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Request timed out.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out.

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:13 PM
Hi Ben,

The first time that you search the site it will build the index. If this takes too long, you'll get a timeout.

I'm aware of this issue and it will be fixed in a subsequent release. For now, you can fix it yourself using the instructions in the following work item:

DocSite: Performance Generating Search Index

If you find that the performance is still too poor to be useful, you can disable the search and browse features on the DocSite Administration page until they're fixed.

- Dave
Oct 20, 2007 at 10:58 AM
Thanks Dave, That worked great!
Oct 23, 2007 at 9:06 AM
Hey,

I just wanted to give everyone an update on the performance issue generating the full-text search index.

In the next release of DocProject, which may be published sometime this week, I've drastically improved the amount of time it takes to generate the full-text search index, live on the web server.

My original tests were run against a DocSite that I generated for DocProject's own documentation, which took about 1 hour and 50 minutes to generate using Sandcastle with MSDN links and building Help 1.x. There were 7 assemblies, 6822 keywords, 9722 documents, and the total time to generate the search index was well over an hour.

In my last test generating the full-text search index against the same documentation set it took under two minutes.

The DocSite was published on my local IIS. I'm running Vista Business with a single, hyper-threaded processor and I had left the normal amount of stuff open; you know, WMP, two instances of VS, Outlook 2008, etc. Admittedly, my computer is high-end (or at least it was when I bought it a couple of years ago ;), but having a server instead should certainly help to increase the performance a noticeable amount.

The performance of the Browse Index page seems very good, however the search itself still needs to be refactored because it can be quite slow when searching for very common keywords, especially when there's more than one at a time (although, I'm referring to my test with 9722 documents :).

I'm going to create a separate work item to improve the performance of the search, but the improvements might not make it into the next release. If the performance of the search isn't improved by the next release, then I suggest playing around with it to see if its performance is acceptable for your own DocSites, and if it's too slow then you can disable the public search feature in the DocSite Administration Page. But you can leave the public browse index page enabled.

- Dave