October Sandcastle

Topics: Sandcastle
Nov 1, 2007 at 11:27 AM
Hi Dave,

I was just wondering if/when DocProject will support Sandcastle. My request for improved FireFox support made it in so will be cool to get a new DocSite out soon :)

When is 1.9.0 due?

Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers

Ben
Nov 1, 2007 at 2:46 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2007 at 2:58 PM
Hi Ben,

I saw that your request was granted, nice :)

Sorry for the delay but this release has a lot of stuff in it - I planned for a late release of Sandcastle since that's what usually happens :p 1.9.0 RC will probably be released over the weekend, but no later than Monday.

Have you tried 1.8.0 RC with the October CTP? It seemed to work for me but I already had some changes in the code base when I tested it, so I can't be too sure. I understand if you want to wait for 1.9.0, but if it's urgent then you may want to try recreating your DocSite using 1.8.0 and it may work (but you have to manually delete the subfolders in %DXROOT%\Data\Reflection before or after you install the October CTP; e.g., 2.0, 3.0 and/or 3.5.

(EDIT: Data\Reflection, not Reflection\Data)

- Dave
Nov 1, 2007 at 2:57 PM
And BTW, just a warning: DocProject now uses Sandcastle's CHMBuilder utility to generate the supporting HTML Help Workshop files, such as the .hhc TOC file. But the format has changed from the last release (I discovered this myself late in testing). I know that your solution for integrating conceptual content relied on modifying the .hhc file so you'll have to update it.

Basically what has changed is that <LI> elements that used to represent individual topics are now wrapped with <UL> elements. For example:

<UL>
  <LI>topic 1</LI>
  <UL>
    <LI>child to topic 1</LI>
  </UL>
  <LI>topic 2</LI>
  <UL>
    <LI>child to topic 2</LI>
  </UL>
</UL>
becomes:

<UL>
  <LI>topic 1</LI>
  <UL>
    <LI>child to topic 1</LI>
  </UL>
</UL>
<UL>
  <LI>topic 2</LI>
  <UL>
    <LI>child to topic 2</LI>
  </UL>
</UL>
Notice that there is no root element in this example (I had to update the SandcastleHelpSystem class to support this, even for descendent nodes).

Also there is now a root Namespaces element that is auto-generated by Sandcastle, like in previous releases :)