API Topic Management Performance

Topics: Features, General Questions
Nov 7, 2007 at 3:27 PM
Hello Dave

Have you something on the roadmap relating to improve the performance of the API Topic Management? I think it is very slow? Or is that only on my machine...?
(6 Projects need about 3mins)

Greetings and thanks

Cis
Coordinator
Nov 7, 2007 at 6:51 PM
Hey Cis,

I have improved DocProject's performance when the tree view is filled in the 1.9.0 Release Candidate, but the problem is that the data is generated by Sandcastle's MRefBuilder program in the background. So however it long it takes to run MRefBuilder during a normal build is the amount of time that you must wait to use the API Topic Management dialog as well, with an additional wait time for DocProject to fill the tree view.

I think the fill-time is insignificant compared to the amount of time it takes to generate the data, but if your experience is different then please let me know :)

- Dave
Nov 8, 2007 at 11:55 AM
Hi

"I think the fill-time is insignificant compared to the amount of time it takes to generate the data, but if your experience is different then please let me know :)"

Thats the truth :-), as i understand you right, you don't implemented the Assembly parsing logic by your self. So a RAMDrive should speedup this Topic Management too?

Thanks

Cis
Coordinator
Nov 8, 2007 at 1:37 PM
Hi Cis,

Yes, Sandcastle is responsible for generating a reflection data file, which DocProject then parses into the tree view. Parsing and filling the tree view is fast.

I'm not qualified to comment about a ramdrive though, but I guess it could help :)

This is probably a conversation that is better suited in the Developer Documentation and Help System Forum, with regards to Sandcastle's MRefBuilder program.

- Dave