New Project Dialog Box in VS2005

Topics: Bugs, General Discussion, General Questions, Sandcastle
Nov 28, 2007 at 5:21 AM
Hi,
I installed Sandcastle Oct CTP and then installed DocProject from "DocProject-190RC.exe". After this I have executed "VSCompInstaller.vsi" from Resources directory of DocProject. Now I am facing problem with VS 2005. When I open VS 2005 (Team Edition) and try to open New project Dialog box, using "File/New/Projects" menu then the VS 2005 hangs. I also have VS 2008 installed on my machine.

Please help.

Thanks and Regards,
Shishir
Nov 28, 2007 at 5:33 AM
I just checked event log one error displyed is as follows;

"Error in Template (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\NET Framework 3.0\WinFXBrowserApplication.zip), file (WinFXBrowserApplication.vstemplate). Unknown element (MaxFrameworkVersion). Parsing will attempt to recover. "

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:30 PM
Hi Shishir,

Hanging for a couple of seconds seems to be normal in my experience. Hanging for longer than that, or never recovering, is not something that I've experienced though. DocProject uses the recommended approach to installing VS content so I believe that hang-time may be unavoidable.

DocProject's installer installs everything that you need, including the Visual Studio content. You shouldn't run the Visual Studio Content Installer (.vsi) manually unless there is a problem with the normal installation, if you need to quickly install DocProject in a newly installed version of Visual Studio, or if you perhaps move the content folder paths and would like to quickly reinstall the content without reinstalling all of DocProject.

Thanks for checking the event log, but the error that you posted has nothing to do with DocProject. Are there any events in the Application event log that have DocProject as the source?

I guess if you have duplicate content then that might cause the behavior you're experiencing, although that shouldn't be the case if you've installed DocProject for Just Me since the .VSI should have prompted you to replace the existing content, not create duplicates. But if you want to check just to be sure, the location of the content depends on your OS and whether you've installed for Just Me or Everyone.

Information about where the Add-In is installed can be found in How To Diagnose and Resolve Issues.

The project templates are installed at, %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio [8|9]\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\[CSharp|VisualBasic]\DocProject for Everyone and at, [My ]Documents\Visual Studio [2005|2008]\Templates\ProjectTemplates\[Visual C#|Visual Basic]\DocProject for Just Me installations.

I suggest that you check all possible locations to ensure that the content only appears in one place, without any duplicates:

• DocProject.AddIn
  • CSharpDocProjectTemplate.zip
  • CSharpDocSiteTemplate.zip
  • VBDocProjectTemplate.zip
  • VBDocSiteTemplate.zip
- Dave