Scrolling Issue with Generated HTML

Topics: Bugs
Nov 29, 2007 at 2:37 AM
Firstly, I wanted to compliment you on an extremly impressive vs.net addon. damn!

Secondly, I have a class with a significant amount of properties and methods and noticed that the left content area of the generated HTML does not scroll horizontally or vertically correctly. I get a vertical scroll bar, however it does not actually scroll very far. Oddly, this same class is a generic with a rather long definition and so the full definition is clipped on the right side even on a widscreen monitor with the browser maximized.

Interestingly, if you restore down your browser and then resize the browser from its bottom edge (vertically), the footer moves up but not down.

both issues occur in IE 7.

Anywho, just a few display anomalies that I noticed. Ideally I'd like to have found a fix for these, however my CSS skillz are, um... un-skilled.
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2007 at 11:08 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the compliment :)

I assume that you're referring to the Contents region in the sidebar of the DocSite template, correct?

Scrolling seems fine in my tests, although I don't have a documentation set that fills the sidebar vertically so I must expand random nodes until the vertical scrollbar appears. But then I can't seem to reproduce the problem in Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16546.

Would you be able to try building a smaller documentation set that doesn't take up the full height when all nodes are collapsed (with the window maximized), but then when individual nodes are expanded a vertical scrollbar appears? That way we can determine if the problem is related to the initial load on your system.

(FYI, I set the default size of my browser to be small enough so that my small documentation set would even cause a vertical scrollbar to appear during the initial load, and I still wasn't able to reproduce the problem - I was able to scroll all the way to the bottom.)

The horizontal scroll bar may be off by a couple of pixels (it seems that the last character may be cut off half-way on long class names). I can fix that, but it sounds
like what you're experiencing is much worse than that.

Interestingly, if you restore down your browser and then resize the browser from its bottom edge (vertically), the footer moves up but not down.

This I have experienced (even during development). But it appears to be a bug in IE7's display engine, so there's nothing I can do about it short of some hack/workaround that I don't know about. Although, I find that if you jiggle the bottom edge the footer eventually snaps back :)

This, BTW, is why I will always prefer programming rich client applications :)

- Dave