Feedback link

Topics: General Questions, Sandcastle
Nov 30, 2007 at 2:13 PM
It would be nice if it were possible to set the feedback link from within DocProject.

Come to that, I wish I could work out how to completely disable it.
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2007 at 4:28 PM
Hi,

You can configure the feedback control in Sandcastle's VS 2005 presentation style using the Topic Designer or you can edit the XML content items directly (they are defined in, Help\Presentation\Style\Content\feedBack_content.xml).

To edit the items in the designer, select the feedBack_content document in the Content Documents area and then select the individual settings in the Content Items area to edit them.

To hide the feedback section in the footer, set the feedback_ratings item to false. Unfortunately, I don't think you can hide the link in the header without actually modifying one or more XSL files, although it seems that setting feedback_ratings to false will cause the link in the header to open up a mail message instead of acting as an anchor to a bookmark in the footer (Eric Woodruff mentions that in this thread, although I haven't tried it myself.)

- Dave
Dec 3, 2007 at 8:59 AM
Maybe I'm just stupid/unlucky (you pick) but setting the both "fbratings" and "feedbackratings" to false had no effect except to generate these warnings when the DocProject project was compiled ...

Warn: Missing shared content item 'feedback_alias'.
Warn: Missing shared content item 'feedback_product'.
Warn: Missing shared content item 'feedback_deliverable'.
Warn: Missing shared content item 'feedback_fileversion'.
Warn: Missing shared content item 'feedback_topicversion'.
Warn: Missing shared content item 'feedback_body'.
Warn: Missing shared content item 'fb_headerfeedback'.
Warn: Missing shared content item 'feedback_ratings'.

These appear in the output window after the Info line about every topic.

In the end I modified the feedbackcss class in the Presentation.css file to include the line "display:hidden". This is far from ideal as it 'eats' my copyright line too.

--
Stuart
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2007 at 3:49 AM
Hi Stuart,

Sorry for the delay in my response. I'll check into this myself and let you know what I find.

In the mean time you may want to use my original suggestion for removing the feedback control, which you'll find in the following MSDN thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2258340&SiteID=1

- Dave
Dec 5, 2007 at 1:07 PM
Tried that. get an error about 'fb' not being defined on every page produced.

Have posted a reply to the thread that you pointed me at.
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2007 at 1:46 PM
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply. We should continue the conversation on the MSDN forums :)

- Dave