It's the wrong project name Gromitt

Topics: Features, General Questions
Dec 13, 2007 at 4:41 PM
Edited Dec 13, 2007 at 4:42 PM
Following the "how to" for DocProject, I add a new project to my solution.

Let's say my (code) project is called (and has the namespace)

StuartHemming.Example

I give my DocProject project the name

StuartHemming.Example.Documentation

That way it is easy to identify which project is related to which.

I go through the DocProject start up dialogs an select StuartHemming.Example as the project to document. Then I build the documentation project.

All of the generated files (that is the files I will use in either FAR or the Help Integration Wizard) are called

StuartHemming.Example.Documentation.<whatever>

I can rename the files, that's not a biggy, but it would be nice if the startup dialogs offered you to chance to set the final file name base, wouldn't it? I mean, even if you have no control over the name that SandCastle uses to create the .HxS files and the like, Couldn't you add a final step to the build process in DocProject to rename the generated files accordingly?

Just a thought?

--
Stuart
Dec 13, 2007 at 9:18 PM
Hi Stuart,

DocProject names the files. I had DocProject use the project name because that's normally how other VS projects name their build output. If you change the name of your project then the names of the output files will change too.

I could add an option for specifying the name of the documentation set; i.e., you could specify the Sandcastle project name so that it's different from the Visual Studio project name. Then all of the files could use the name of the documentation set. For example, if your DocSite is named, "StuartHemming.Example.Documentation", you may want to name the documentation set, "Stuart Hemming Docs". DocProject would then use, "Stuart Hemming Docs.{ext}" to name all of the files. It would also use the documentation set name wherever Sandcastle requires it in the actual documentation.

I'll add a work item for this but I'm not sure if it's actually necessary since you could just rename the project. In your example, is there any techincal reason why you have to rename the files or is it just because you feel that the name is too long?

Thanks for the feedback,
Dave
Dec 13, 2007 at 9:20 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.