New Project Wizard Error

Topics: General Questions
Jan 4, 2008 at 6:14 PM
This may be a stupid question, as I only started looking at DocProject today, but I'm running Visual Studio 2005 SP1, and I've installed the October 2007 CTP of Sandcastle and DocBook 1.9.0 Release Candidate (in that order). When I try to add a new DocBook project to an existing solution, I get an error dialog saying

-----------------------------------------------------------------
An error occurred while running the New Project Wizard:

The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be
searched. Inaccessible logs: Security.

Review the Application event log for more information.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing is added to the Application event log.

If add a second DocBook project to the solution without restarting developer studio, I then get the wizard without an error (and the resulting project successfully creates a CHM file).

Any ideas? It may be relevant that I'm running on Windows Vista, as a user without administrative rights.
Jan 4, 2008 at 7:16 PM
Hi,

DocProject requires administrative rights. See Improved Vista Support and "BuildDocProject" task failed (System.Security.SecurityException: ) vista for more information.

By the way, individual projects are called DocProjects or DocSites. See also the DocProject Components article for more information and the Wikimap for a list of all articles.

- Dave
Jan 7, 2008 at 1:38 PM
Thank you for the quick response... I'd done a search for the problem in the discussions, but hadn't realized that I needed to search work items separately. Doh.

Without wishing to make a big issue of it, it would be nice if DocProject could run without admin rights. For all that Microsoft claim that Developer Studio works better with admin rights, I'd never run into anything before this which didn't work properly without them.

And sorry about writing DocBook instead of DocProject -- I don't know what I was thinking of at the time!

Cheers,
John
Jan 7, 2008 at 6:40 PM
Hi John,

I may look into this in the future but for now it's too much of a burden to test DocProject under high-security scenarios while it's still being developed (I'd much rather concentrate on functionality now), and also since I'm using Vista with UAC disabled myself. Unfortunately I can't just enable UAC to test DocProject because when I actually did try that a while back my computer didn't work properly. It caused certain programs to stop working at all and I completely lost access to various directories that I needed to access; i.e., trying to run as administrator to view certain directories, for myself - not DocProject, didn't work as I recall. Anyway, it was just one big headache.

To test DocProject in the future I'd like to setup a virtual environment to emulate the problems that people might be experiencing, one by one, after DocProject's feature set has been frozen for the first RTM. Then I can use a mixture of declarative and imperative security properly. But for now, while DocProject is still under development and being released as release candidates, it's just not a priority for me.

Thanks for the feedback,
Dave
Jan 8, 2008 at 2:30 PM
Understood!

Thanks again,
John