DocProject Roadmap

Topics: Features, General Discussion
Coordinator
Jan 23, 2008 at 7:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I've recently blogged about my goals and plans for DocProject in the future:

http://davesexton.com/blog/blogs/blog/archive/2008/01/17/docproject-roadmap.aspx

I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer. Any features mentioned that you're particularly interested in? Any features that I didn't mention? Let me know!

Thanks,
Dave
Jan 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM
Edited Jan 29, 2008 at 12:59 PM
Hi Dave,

Any eta on 1.10 RC.... I see you've aimed for 21st Jan (which has since passed)
any new eta?

(I'm working in VS 2008 building some silverlight stuff, and would like documentation
for the powers that be)
no rush for a release - just an idea of when - thx
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2008 at 4:47 PM
Sorry about the delay, everyone.

I assume that more people are going to be trying this release than any other release of DocProject, based on the increase of hits that DocProject's home page and my website have gotten since Sandcastle went RTW, so I wanted to be sure that I was satisfied with it. I've been adding some additional features, testing and debugging lots of new bugs! - three new VS tool windows and the build process for conceptual help is a lot of new functionality to test. :)

I'm basically done adding features now and I'll be completing the stabilization phase very soon. I had planned to deploy over the weekend but obviously I missed that opportunity. I'm confident that I'll be able to deploy this week though.

BTW, I'm only deploying the VS 2005 version, as mentioned in my blog post. I won't be working on the VS 2008 version, DocProject 2008, for the next month or two.

Also note that Microsoft was kind enough to continue hosting the Sandcastle October 2007 CTP, which means that new users will be able to continue using DocProject 2008 Beta 2 until Microsoft discontinues the CTP.

- Dave
Apr 10, 2008 at 12:04 PM
Dave,

Any word on the eta for DocProject 2008?

thx
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM
Hi,

My current plan is as follows:

1. Release my new DocToMaml tool within the next few days.
  2. Release DocProject 1.11.0 RC (which is going to be a Release-mode build) by the end of the month.
  3. Release DocProject 2008 Beta 3 shortly after 1.11.0 RC (within a couple of days). Although, it might be marked as release candidate instead of beta. It is based on the 1.11.0 RC codebase.
  4. Release DocProject 1.12.0 RTW within the following month.
  5. Release DocProject 2008 RC (as a Release-mode build) shortly after 1.12.0 RTW. It will be the same codebase.
  6. Release DocProject 2008 RTW within a month of the last release.
  7. Continue working on DocProject 3.0, which will be a true Visual Studio package instead of an add-in. I plan to work on a much improved Topic Editor that is schema-based and can handle XML documentation as well as MAML. The other features that I mentioned in my blog are still going to be considered for this release as well.
The time frame for the plan that I've outlined above spans approximately two and a half months. There's no ETA on DocProject 3.0 yet, but as I mentioned in my blog, I'd like to get it out there during the summer.

- Dave