How to rename "Namespaces" root node and split up the help nodes for two project references

Topics: General Discussion, Help 1.x/2.x
Apr 21, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Hi,

I have added two as project references in my docproject. Currently all the help documentation for both appears under the root "Namespaces" node. However, I want to have the project namespace names to be the root nodes. Even I could not rename the "Namespaces" display property like in conceptual topics from the topic explorer window.

My questions are :

1. How can I rename the default "Namespaces" root in the left hand table of cobntent ?

As it is now:

--Namespaces

-----Project1 namespace elements

-----Project2 namespace elements

I want this:

--Project1

-----Project1 namespace elements

--Project2

------Project2 namespace elements

2. How can I split up the help nodes for the two project references ? (as I illustrated)

Thanks a ton for any help. Looking forward to the slightest hint.

Soumik

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:23 PM
Soumik -- I think that one could just use 2 separate DocProjects to achieve something like that. Otherwise, I would suggest just living with the Namespaces root out-of-the-box, as it is GEFN IMHO. That said, I really do not know the answer to your question. Sorry. :-) HTH. Thank you. -- Mark Kamoski
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2010 at 2:54 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Hi Soumik,

1. If I remember correctly, there's a namespacesTitle content item under the reference_content category in the Topic Designer.

2. You can disable the Content > Generate root API topic setting in the DocProject Properties window for your DocProject or DocSite.

Note that the Namespaces node will alway appear in Topic Explorer anyway, regardless of this setting.  The reason is that it's a movable placeholder for namespaces topics in the TOC.  When you build the documentation, it will not output a Namespaces node when the above setting is disabled.

How To Configure DocProject
http://docproject.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=How%20To%20Configure%20DocProject

- Dave

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, DocProject does not yet support merging content between two or more DocProjects or DocSites.  In the future, if I do implement a feature like that, then it may be a third option; however, for the simple tasks that Soumik has requested, they are already supported within a single DocProject or DocSite as I mentioned in my previous response.

Feature Request: DocTemplate/DocSite Master linking several projects together
http://docproject.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=17320

- Dave

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:12 PM
Dave -- Regarding this... "Unfortunately, DocProject does not yet support merging content between two or more DocProjects or DocSites... In the future, if I do implement a feature like that, then it may be a third option" that is fine and I thought that was the case. However, please note that I did not mean to suggest a feature. I was simply saying use 2, stand-alone, separate DocSites, as a GEFN workaround, at least IMHO. I like DocProject out-of-the-box. Thank you. -- Mark Kamoski
Apr 22, 2010 at 6:30 AM

Thanks Dave. Thanks Mkamoski. You guys helped so much. I am now able to get over the problem.

Thanks again.

Soumik