Download Compiled Help link visible when CHM not included

Topics: DocSites, General Questions
May 24, 2010 at 7:48 PM

DocProject -- 

It seems to me that the "Download Compiled Help" link is still visible even when when CHM not included in the DocProject processing for a DocSite.

(BTW, I had turned off CHM generation in order to speed the DocSite build process.)

As such the link is dead.

Etc.

HTH.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski

Coordinator
May 26, 2010 at 8:46 AM
Edited May 26, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Hi Mark,

The hyperlink is in the header control (Controls\DocSiteHeader.ascx), so you can just remove it yourself.

Note that disabling CHM help only really affects one step near or at the end of the build process.  It probably doesn't have much of an impact on performance when it's disabled, unless of course you have a very large CHM being compiled, but that probably means you have an even larger body of HTML files being compiled and those steps cannot be skipped.  If you're not sure, I'd recommend enabling CHM compilation and then look in the build output for the Compile Help 1.x build step.  The time it takes will be logged.  You should see that it's quite fast, at least when compared to previous steps in the build process (especially the Build Assembler step, which is typically the slowest step of them all - and it cannot be disabled).

- Dave

May 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Dave --

Given that good news, I think I am going to keep CHM generation turned on, as a standard convention in-house here.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski