inheritdoc aparently not supported

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:16 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Hello,

Sandcastle supports an <inheritdoc/> tag that allows documentation to be shared under appropriate circumstances, e.g. between multiple overloads of one function, or between an interface specification and implementation(s).

I have added <inheritdoc/> tags to my interface implementations, but when I generate my CHM, the implementation descriptions are still blank.

I managed to find documentation on SandCastle's handling of the inheritdoc tag at "http://www.ewoodruff.us/shfbdocs/html/79897974-ffc9-4b84-91a5-e50c66a0221d.htm", but I have been unable to find anything online describing how DocProject handles it.

Are there any special configuration options that need to be set to make inheritdoc tags work as expected, or is the feature simply not supported by DocProject at this time?

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:51 AM

That particular implementation is part of the Sandcastle Help File Builder.  It's implemented as a standalone executable that SHFB runs prior to running BuildAssembler.  Sandcastle subsequently added an InheritDocumentationComponent that you can add to the sandcastle.config file in your DocProject project.  You can see the syntax and placement needed by looking at the C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\VS2005\Configuration\Sandcastle.config file.  Search for "inheritdoc" and you'll find the component reference in it.  I think it supports most of what the standalone executable does but lacks some of the abilities such as mixing comments with inherited comments.

Eric

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2010 at 12:15 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation Eric.

Myersa, the InheritDocumentationComponent is included by default in the Sandcastle config file when you create a new DocProject or DocSite.  Please open your project's Help\Presentation\Style\Configuration\sandcastle.help1.config file and search for the component by name.  You should find it in a couple of places, as well as support for the inheritdoc element.

What versions of Sandcastle and DocProject are you using?

Note that DocProject doesn't do anything special to support this feature - it's entirely Sandcastle's responsibility.  Therefore, if it's not working for you then perhaps you're not using the tag correctly, you've modified the configuration, or Sandcastle has a bug.

Could you please provide an example of how you're using the inheritdoc tag?

Thanks,
Dave