can not use docproject in VS2008

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Hello, I have run into trouble using docproject

I installed VS2008 sp1,. Netframework 3.5 sp1, my operating system is 32-bit Win7,Installed docproject 110 RC,
deleted user paths to dxroot,and then restart the computer,

Follow the New Project Wizard, I created docproject project

but step 6 does not display after clicking next at step 4

When click the "Show the Topic designer" button ,it display the following error message

An error occurred while executing a connent

connend: TopicDesigner

Tool bar or nenu: DocProject - Sandcast1e

The ‘Doctroject3’ project is missing the nee of the

Sundcastl. presentation style that it uses. This may

occur when a new DocProject or DocSite is created

without running Visual studio as an adninistrator

Run VS as en admin end try creating a new project.

When Compile, it display then following error message

The "BuildDocProject" task failed unexpectedly.

System.InvalidOperationException: The 'DocProject3' project is missing the name of the Sandcastle presentation style that it uses.  This may occur when a new DocProject or DocSite is created without running Visual Studio as an administrator.  Run VS as an admin and try creating a new project.

in DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.SandcastleBuildEngineProvider.CreateProjectOptions(IDocProject project)

in DaveSexton.DocProject.VSDocProject.get_Options()

in DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildEngine`2.get_Options()

in DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.SandcastleSettings..ctor(IBuildEngine engine)

in DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.SandcastleBuildEngineProvider.CreateBuildSettings(IBuildEngine engine)

in DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildEngine`2.get_Settings()

in DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildEngine`2.Build(BuildContext context)

in DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildEngine`2.Build()

in DaveSexton.DocProject.BuildController.Build(IDocProject project, BuildType buildType)

in DaveSexton.DocProject.BuildController.Build(IDocProject project)

in DaveSexton.DocProject.MSBuild.BuildDocProject.Execute()

in Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(EngineProxy engineProxy, ItemBucket bucket, TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, ITask task, Boolean& taskResult)        DocProject3

I do not know how to solve, please help

Coordinator
Jul 9, 2010 at 2:59 AM
Edited Jul 9, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Hi, 

What is the value of the DXROOT environment variable that remains?  It should point to the Sandcastle installation folder; typically, C:\Program Files\Sandcastle.

Also, since you're using Windows 7, if you have User Account Control (UAC) enabled, then try running Visual Studio as an administrator.  Right-mouse click devenv.exe and select "Run as Admin".  If you don't see that option, hold Shift and right-click.

- Dave

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:43 AM

The problem still exists

I turn off then User Account Control (UAC), and reinstall docproject,

DXROOT environment variable is "D:\Program Files\Sandcastle" ,I'm sure it is right

I use "Run as Admin" run VS2008 ,and  create a new docproject

when i click next at step 4, the window closed , not display step 5 or step 6 (See New Project Wizard )

When click the "Show the Topic designer" button ,it display the same error message

what can I do ?

Coordinator
Jul 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Hi,

Please check the Application event log for errors with DocProject as the source.  Let me know what you find.

http://docproject.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=How%20to%20Diagnose%20and%20Resolve%20Issues#eventlog

- Dave

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:26 AM

These are Application event log for errors with DocProject

when create new docproject :

A fatal error occurred while building the project: E:\MyTest\DocProject3\DocProject3.vbproj.

System.InvalidOperationException: The 'DocProject3' project is missing the name of the Sandcastle presentation style that it uses.  This may occur when a new DocProject or DocSite is created without running Visual Studio as an administrator.  Run VS as an admin and try creating a new project.
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.SandcastleBuildEngineProvider.CreateProjectOptions(IDocProject project)
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.VSDocProject.get_Options()
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildEngine`2.get_Options()
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.SandcastleSettings..ctor(IBuildEngine engine)
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.SandcastleBuildEngineProvider.CreateBuildSettings(IBuildEngine engine)
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildEngine`2.get_Settings()
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildEngine`2.Build(BuildContext context)
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildEngine`2.Build()
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.BuildController.Build(IDocProject project, BuildType buildType)
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.BuildController.Build(IDocProject project)
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.MSBuild.BuildDocProject.Execute()

When click toolbar :

Command execution error.  Command: TopicDesigner; Tool bar: DocProject - Sandcastle.

System.InvalidOperationException: The 'DocProject1' project is missing the name of the Sandcastle presentation style that it uses.  This may occur when a new DocProject or DocSite is created without running Visual Studio as an administrator.  Run VS as an admin and try creating a new project.
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.SandcastleBuildEngineProvider.CreateProjectOptions(IDocProject project)
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.VSDocProject.get_Options()
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.TopicDesignerToolBarCommand.Execute(Object option, Object argument)
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.ToolBar.Execute(String commandName, vsCommandExecOption option, Object argument, Boolean& handled)
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.DocProjectEnvironment.ExecuteCommand(String name, vsCommandExecOption option, Object argument, Boolean& handled)

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2010 at 1:46 AM
Edited Jul 12, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Hi,

Thanks, but those errors are expected.  When the New Project Wizard fails or is canceled, the project that it was configuring is unusable.  You won't be able to build or use the Topic Designer unless the wizard succeeds.

Do you see events from when the New Project Wizard had failed?  If you can't find them, then I suggest trying to create a new project and see if it fails again.  If it does fail again, then please check the event log for any new events with DocProject as the source.

Also:

1. Have you made any customizations to the Sandcastle installation?  For example, have you applied the Sandcastle Styles patch?  Note the last few versions of the patch were never tested with DocProject and are probably incompatible.
  2. Wizard Step #4 configures compiled help.  Did you install the Visual Studio SDK?  Which options are you selecting on that step?  Perhaps try a different selection - you can always change it later in the DocProject Properties window.

- Dave

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Hi, thank you for reply,but I still can not fix it

I install Sandcastle at D:\program files

I install Sandcastle Styles patch “SCPatch_Jun2010_2_6_10621_1_Rev1”

But when the Sandcastle Styles patch is not installed, it occurs same error ,too

I can use Sandcastle Help File Builder to compile help file 1 and help file 2

this is vs2008 info

I create docproject use this :

this is step 1

I choise Sandcastle

step 2

I choise Visual Studio 2005

step 3

I choise nothing

step 4

I choise chm

When I click “next” then it closed (not step 5)

and then when I click toolbarimage

error occurs

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Hi,

The error when clicking the toolbar button occurs when the wizard has failed to complete, so it's not helpful.

Have you looked in the event log for events related to the wizard failing?  There should be something logged at the exact moment that step #4 crashes, when you click Next.

If nothing is being logged, then could you please try to attach another instance of Visual Studio so that I can get the stack trace of the exception?

1. Open the first instance of VS and start the New Project Wizard as you have been doing.
  2. Before reaching step #4, start a new instance of Visual Studio and open the Debug -> Attach to Process... dialog.
  3. Select the first instance of Visual Studio in the list to debug.
  4. After the new instance of Visual Studio has attached to the first instance, open the Debug -> Exceptions... dialog in the new instance.
  5. Check the box next to Common Language Runtime Exceptions under the Thrown column.  Click OK.
  6. Continue using the wizard and when you press Next on step #4 Visual Studio should break into the debugger.
  7. Unless you've downloaded the source code there won't be any, but please send me the entire stack trace from the Debug -> Windows -> Call Stack window.

- Dave

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Hi

I did it just you said

but no exception catched when I press Next on step #4

and I look for event log ,there is no error for docproject

so I don't know what happend

then what can I do ?

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Hi

I uninstall the Sandcastle , docproject

And then I reinstall them

now everything is OK

Oh,thanks god !

maybe because I installed the Sandcastle Styles patch  caused the error occurred

Thank you so much!