is DocProject/DocSite dead?

Topics: DocSites, General Discussion, General Questions
Jul 23, 2010 at 7:04 PM

The last source code checkin and downloadable was made in Jun 16 2008 - thats more than 2 years ago. Is this awesome project dead?

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Hi,

No, it's not dead.  I'm still working on a new release to support the latest release of Sandcastle.  However, between my employment and other programming responsibilities, I'm having a hard time committing sufficiently long blocks of time to complete my current tasks - this will hopefully change in a few weeks though, and in the meantime I'm working on it when I can.  For example, I've recently completed upgrading the solution's build system to MSBuild 4.0.  I probably wasted months investigating how to convert the solution to a real VS package, but I've decided to put that off again in favor of a quicker upgrade path - just to get something useful out there ASAP.

The reasons why it's been so long since I've released an update to DocProject are related to the very long release cycle of Sandcastle (also spanning years) and my disinterest in carrying the Sandcastle torch if MS decided to abandon it entirely.  It looks like it may be picking up again where it left off a few years ago, so that's some good news.  A shorter release cycle of Sandcastle may pique my interest in it again and that may translate to shorter release cycles for DocProject as well.

- Dave