How to organise topics (Newb Alert)

Topics: Features, General Discussion, Help 1.x/2.x
Feb 17, 2008 at 8:39 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2008 at 8:41 PM
My topics dialog doesn't look like the one of this page http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject/Wiki/View.aspx?title=TopicManagementDialog_Large&referringTitle=Home .

I do not have "API References->Namespaces". I just have "namespaces". Also when I generate my help file, everything under "Namespaces" becomes a root level item. With 15 assemblies, lots of subfolders in those assemblies etc, this becomes a big ol mess.

Am I able to group my namespaces into topic sections. eg
  • Framework
  • Application Blocks
  • Web
  • Winforms

Also if I have an assembly that contains many namespaces, am I able to group these together. eg
  • MyWebLibrary
    • MyWebLibrary.ControlBases
    • MyWebLibrary.Controls

Is this what the "API References" topic does in your example ?

Daniel.
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2008 at 9:15 PM
Hi Daniel,

My topics dialog doesn't look like the one of this page [snip]

The screen shot shows mixed conceptual and reference documentation. Everything under Namespaces is auto-generated by Sandcastle. The other topics were created manually.

You can add your own topics, such as the API Reference topic in the screen shot, by clicking the Insert a new conceptual topic button in the tool bar (the icon looks like a blank document with a star). Then drag & drop conceptual topics and the Namespaces topic to organize the TOC.

To create the example screen shot I created a new conceptual topic named, API Reference and then dropped Namespaces under it.

(Sorry for the outdated documentation - still working on it.)

Also when I generate my help file, everything under "Namespaces" becomes a root level item

In the DocProject Properties window for your project you can set the Content | Generate root API topic setting to true and it will actually include the Namespaces topic in the documentation.

The reason why that setting is false by default is because of a bug in the Sandcastle January 2008 release. If you're going to enable that setting you should install Eric Woodruff's Sandcastle Presentation File Patches first otherwise the build will fail (note that it's a separate download from the SHFB program.)

Am I able to group my namespaces into topic sections

No, but that is a feature I've wanted to add for a while.

I'll add it as a feature request to be able to group auto-generated reference topics by different criteria, such as by assembly, namespace or custom groupings.

Thanks,
Dave
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2008 at 9:17 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.