"No appropriate constructor exists" error

Topics: Bugs
Sep 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I'm new to DocProject, but I'm attempting to build documentation for several projects in one of our initiatives.  After installing Sandcastle 2.6.1062.1 and the DocProject 1.110 RC, I can't seem to get my first project to build.  I'm using VS2008, and have poured through the debugging common issues list, but nothing there seems applicable.

The first error was complaining about missing the file  \help\Presentation\Style\Configuration\MrefBuilder.exe  folder.  But I quickly found that file from within the Sandcastle install directory and plugged it in.  But now I'm getting the error below and I'm not sure what to do...

Step 2 DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.ExternalProcessException: Execute MRefBuilder:The "C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\ProductionTools\MRefBuilder" process failed with exit code: 1. 

Successful Steps: 1 of 8

Failed Steps: 1

TRLS.Documentation help build failed.

========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

MrefBuilder (v2.6.10621.1)Copyright c Microsoft 2006

Error: No appropriate constructor exists for the type 'Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ExtensionMethodAddIn' in the addin assembly 'C:\Thomson\SVN\trunk\Sept2010Refactor\TRLS.Documentation\TRLS.Documentation\Help\Presentation\Style\Configuration\MRefBuilder.exe'.

Non-zero exit code: 1

Any help would be very much appreciated - my client needs this documentation completed very soon.

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:47 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Hi,

DocProject does not yet support the latest version of Sandcastle.  This is noted on the download page.

To use DocProject you'll have to completely uninstall the latest version of Sandcastle, then download and install the previous version:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=E82EA71D-DA89-42EE-A715-696E3A4873B2&displaylang=en

Also, don't forget to create a new DocProject or DocSite.  The one that you've already created is unusable.

Alternatively, if you must use the latest version of Sandcastle then try using SHFB instead.

- Dave

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I just noticed that right after making this post.  Though I wasn't able to fix the install to confirm that was the issue until earlier today.  Thanks for the quick response!

-Mark-