how to rebuild a DocProject WebApp on a build machine

Topics: General Questions
Oct 13, 2010 at 4:33 PM

All --

Please help.

I need to know how to rebuild a DocProject WebApp on a build machine.

I run this line via a script at the command prompt on my build machine...

aspnet_compiler.exe -v /TestApi -p "C:\Code\Test\DocProject\TestApi.WebApp" -c

...and I get the following error...

"

Utility to precompile an ASP.NET application

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

/TestApi/Controls/DocSiteContents.ascx(1): error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'TestApi.WebApp.Controls.DocSiteContents'.

/TestApi/Controls/DocSiteIndex.ascx(1): error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'TestApi.WebApp.Controls.DocSiteIndex'.

/TestApi/Controls/DocSiteFooter.ascx(1): error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'TestApi.WebApp.Controls.DocSiteFooter'.

/TestApi/Controls/DocSiteLetterBar.ascx(1): error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'TestApi.WebApp.Controls.DocSiteLetterBar'.

/TestApi/Controls/DocSiteHeader.ascx(1): error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'TestApi.WebApp.Controls.DocSiteHeader'.

/TestApi/Controls/DocSiteBreadcrumbs.ascx(1): error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'TestApi.WebApp.Controls.DocSiteBreadcrumbs'.

"

...and the same script does work in my workstation machine...

...so I am wondering...

...do I need to install all the Sandcastle and DocProject bits on the build machine? Or, can I just put the necessary DLLs and other resources on the build machine? Or is there another option?

Please advise.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Hi Mark,

Yes, both Sandcastle and DocProject need to be installed on the server.  (You may be able to get around it, but it may be somewhat involved and I have not tested that approach yet.)

The problem with installing DocProject is that it requires Visual Studio to be installed as well.

There's an open work item to support continuous integration:

http://docproject.codeplex.com/workitem/15775

Also, the following instructions may be of some use to you:

How to Build Compiled Help With MSBuild
http://docproject.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=How%20To%20Build%20Compiled%20Help%20With%20MSBuild&referringTitle=Documentation

- Dave

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Dave --

I appreciate the response.

That is all well and good, and what we expected.

As it turns out, the "How to Build Compiled Help With MSBuild" is all we really need in our case.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski