Why the error occurred

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:54 AM

when i use docproject in vs 2005 , i open the project property of docproject, an error occurred,

here is message:

An error occurred while executing a command.
Command: DocProjectPropertiesMenuCommand
Tool bar or menu: project

The 'DocProject' project is missing the name of Sandcastle presentation style that it
uses. This may occur when a new DocProject or DocSite is created without running Visual
Studio as an administrator. Run VS as an admin and try creating a new project.

However i did run VS2005 as an administrator.

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Hi,

Did you create your DocProject or DocSite using the New Project Wizard?  Did the wizard complete successfully?  If you don't complete the wizard then the project will be unusable and should be discarded.

Please also check Windows Event Viewer for more information.

- Dave

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:58 AM
Edited Oct 21, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Hi,

I created new DocProject using the  New Project Wizard, however after i pressed next button in step 4, it finished, the other steps in New Project Wizard did not appear, and not any messages were given, and then the error occurred  as shown above . Did the wizard complete successfully? How to solve the problem?

thanks

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Hi,

Sounds like the wizard did not complete successfully.  Please check the Windows Event Viewer (see the help link in my previous post) for events with DocProject as the source and post the information here.

- Dave

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:48 AM

The messages in Windows Event Viewer:

Menu command execution error.  Command: DocProjectPropertiesMenuCommand.
System.InvalidOperationException: The 'DocProject1' project is missing the name of the Sandcastle presentation style that it uses. 
This may occur when a new DocProject or DocSite is created without running Visual Studio as an administrator.
Run VS as an admin and try creating a new project.
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.SandcastleBuildEngineProvider.CreateProjectOptions(IDocProject project)
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.VSDocProject.get_Options()
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.DocProjectPropertiesControl.set_Project(IDocProject value)
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.DocProjectPropertiesToolWindow.set_Project(IDocProject value)
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.DocProjectPropertiesMenuCommand.OnExecuted(EventArgs e)
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.MenuCommand.Execute(Object option, Object argument)
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.DocProjectEnvironment.ExecuteCommand(String name, vsCommandExecOption option, Object argument,
   Boolean& handled)

Command execution error.  Command: TopicDesigner; Tool bar: DocProject - Sandcastle.
System.InvalidOperationException: The 'DocProject1' project is missing the name of the Sandcastle presentation style that it uses. 
This may occur when a new DocProject or DocSite is created without running Visual Studio as an administrator.
Run VS as an admin and try creating a new project.
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.SandcastleBuildEngineProvider.CreateProjectOptions(IDocProject project)
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.VSDocProject.get_Options()
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.TopicDesignerToolBarCommand.Execute(Object option, Object argument)
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.ToolBar.Execute(String commandName, vsCommandExecOption option, Object argument, Boolean& handled)
   In DaveSexton.DocProject.DocProjectEnvironment.ExecuteCommand(String name, vsCommandExecOption option,
Object argument, Boolean& handled)

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Hi,

Are you sure that you didn't miss any events?  I was hoping to see one containing an exception or some other explanation of why the wizard failed; i.e., DocProject's VSWizard class should at least appear somewhere in the stack trace.  The events that you've posted seem to have occurred after the wizard had already failed and you attempted to use the corrupt project anyway by clicking on DocProject's toolbar items.

If there aren't any other events related to the wizard failure then the only way to diagnose the problem would be to attach another instance of Visual Studio to the first and enable first-chance breaking on all CLR exceptions (via the Debug > Exceptions menu item).  This should at least get you a call stack and an exception type, which I'll need to see.

- Dave

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I think it is my fault, I used the newest version of sandcastle.