NamedURLIndex Keyword Support

Topics: Features, Help 1.x/2.x
Mar 3, 2008 at 2:15 PM
This stuff is important if you want your help to be opened at the default page. You can use the /LaunchNamedUrlTopic switch for the dexplore. I noticed that Sandcastle Help File Builder already supports it. Can I do it in DocProject?

Thanks for the wonderful tool.

ulu
Coordinator
Mar 3, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Hi ulu,

After building at least once with Produce Help 2.x enabled, you'll find the default named index file, index_n.HxK in the Help folder of your DocProject or DocSite (it may be hidden in Solution Explorer). If you haven't built the project for the first time yet then you can add it manually.

Here's an example index_n.HxK file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE HelpIndex SYSTEM "MS-Help://Hx/Resources/HelpIndex.dtd">
<HelpIndex Name="NamedUrl" DTDVersion="1.0">
  <Keyword Term="HomePage">
    <Jump Url="Html2\0ab7482b-ee38-bd9e-794e-7f1292859917.htm"/>
  </Keyword>
  <Keyword Term="DefaultPage">
    <Jump Url="Html2\c6ae9261-6212-578b-efd1-170e81f44ea3.htm"/>
  </Keyword>
</HelpIndex>
If you edit this file, and nothing else, then a subsequent build will only produce compiled help instead of running the entire Sandcastle process again. This is called a partial build and it's useful for being able to quickly change the compiled help output without affecting the Sandcastle stuff.

Note that when you build the project the index files are not replaced, so you can safely include them as project items if you want so that you don't have to Show All Files in Solution Explorer to see them.

And thanks for the compliment ;)

- Dave
Mar 3, 2008 at 7:42 PM
Dave you are awesome. The entire Google couldn't help me, and you did.

Maybe it's worth adding to a FAQ or something.

ulu у Вас
Coordinator
Mar 3, 2008 at 8:46 PM
Hi ulu,

This is definitely worth documenting, and I will once I start writing DocProject's help files. The basic plan is outlined in my DocProject Roadmap blog post.

Here's a few good resources that you might find helpful:

I believe the Helpware site also provides some other articles that may provide additional information about named indexes, but I don't remember where they are offhand.

- Dave
Coordinator
May 9, 2008 at 7:23 AM
Hi ulu,

I just noticed that DocProject actually replaces the index files upon each full build, which is actually a mistake. Sorry about that :)

It's fixed in the next release (1.11.0 RC) so that you can freely change the Help 2.x index files without having to worry about your modifications being replaced by a subsequent build.

- Dave