Items keep getting re-selected in Topic Explorer

Topics: General Questions
Jan 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM

In the Topic Explorer, I've unchecked a box so that the fields don't show up in the CHM file, but even after saving, the next time I open the project, they are re-selected.

Is there some other way to force DocProject to ignore these fields and stop including them?

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Hi,

Did you save the entire solution?  Only the Save All option in Visual Studio will persist the changes that you make in Topic Explorer.  The normal Save option doesn't, since it applies to documents only and Topic Explorer is not actually a document.

Topic Explorer saves your filter selections (checked or unchecked) into your project's Help\Presentation\Style\Configuration\MRefBuilder.config file under the <apiFilter> element.  You can examine this file if you want to confirm whether your changes are being saved or not.

The MRefBuilder.config file is shipped as part of Sandcastle and imported into your DocProject or DocSite when it's created.  The API filter feature is implemented by the MRefBuilder.exe program that's part of Sandcastle.  If you'd rather edit this file by hand you may do so, as long as you don't use Topic Explorer within the same session since your changes to the file may be overwritten with the in-memory changes when you save the solution.

- Dave

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Hi,

You can find more information here:

How To Use the Topic Management Dialog
http://docproject.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=How%20To%20Use%20the%20Topic%20Management%20Dialog

- Dave

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I always use the Save All when saving my changes for exactly this reason, which is why it is so frustrating. I'll check the config file to make sure they're being saved there.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Ya know, wonder if this is because I can't access the Topic Management and the settings there are overriding the filter settings, which show as expose=false in the config file.