DocProject vNext

Topics: General Discussion
Apr 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM
Hi, I use your tool and enjoy it very much.
I have some problems though with its main concept.

I need my comments to be available both in VS Intellisense and outside it as a compiled help file. In addition, inside VS, I need them to be both easily visible and editable.

Currently, DocProject persists comments to a seperate xml file. I think it would be useful to provide the option to persist them into source files, for 2 reasons:
1. They'll become available in Intellisense.
2. Code and comments will be held in one place. When deleting / changing a member, one can eaily update its comments.

On interaction manner, I think it will be more appropriate to provide an add-in for editing comments on a specific source file, instead of opening the managment dialog.
What I'd like to see is a tool window showing current type members, allowing easy editing of individual member comments.
The tool should also allow me to switch to other type.
The tool should support easy viewing AND editing, at the same time. That means, for example, that clicking on member links in comments will navigate to the appropriate member (similar to help file).
Regarding the comments editor, I'd like the option to drag a member from Object Browser (or similar tool) and drop it in the editor to create a link (similar to what the managment dialog provides today).

In other words, don't treat the commenting process as "open dialog, edit, commit and forget", but as an iterative process which collaborates with other coding routines.

Your thoughts are welcome. I think many developers will consider buying such a tool as an official product.
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2008 at 4:59 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to be clear, DocProject will use the XML documentation comments in your source code as well as the external comments that you write using the Topic Editor. You can control how comments are merged with the Merge XML documentation project option.

In other words, you don't have to use the editor if you prefer to keep documentation in your source code. As a matter of fact, I tend to use source code comments myself and then external comments for large examples that are also shared with conceptual content.

Getting the Topic Editor to save changes directly to code is something that I haven't really thought about yet, but I'll add this as a feature request.

Thanks,
Dave
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2008 at 5:01 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.