Conceptual topic creation in Beta2

Topics: Conceptual Topics, General Questions
Jun 9, 2008 at 5:52 AM
Hello, Dave.

I just installed DocProject Beta2 on my VS2008 and have noticed that I can`t create my custom TOC structure (conceptual topics) in API Topic Managment form.
Buttons for this operations is hidden and they`re not implemented.
So my question is: when it would be accessible to create custom TOC stucture through VS2008 ?

And next small question: I`m bit confused why your addin file for VS is installed in RedGate`s PInvoke folder (C:\Program Files\Red Gate\PInvoke.net\DocProject2008.Addin for me) ??
Jun 9, 2008 at 7:35 AM
Hi,

DocProject 2008 Beta 2 is now outdated.  DocProject 1.11.0 RC was deployed a few hours ago and it works in both VS 2005 and VS 2008, with full support for conceptual topics.  Note that the May 2008 Release of Sandcastle is now required.

As for your other question, if you choose to install DocProject for Everyone then the installer looks in the registry for the VS Add-Ins folder in which to copy the Add-In.  It's possible that Red Gate added it's own path when it was installed.  Go to Tools > Options > Environment > Add-in/Macros Security and check the Add-in File Paths list for that path.  If it's there then that would explain it.  I'm not sure that there's any way to determine, at install time, what the preferred installation folder is for Add-Ins so there might not be anything that I can do about this; however, if you want to move DocProject's Add-In file to one of the other registered folders you can.  Just remember that you moved it so that you can delete it manually the next time that you uninstall DocProject.

- Dave
Jun 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM

davedev wrote:
Hi,

DocProject 2008 Beta 2 is now outdated.  DocProject 1.11.0 RC was deployed a few hours ago and it works in both VS 2005 and VS 2008, with full support for conceptual topics.  Note that the May 2008 Release of Sandcastle is now required.

As for your other question, if you choose to install DocProject for Everyone then the installer looks in the registry for the VS Add-Ins folder in which to copy the Add-In.  It's possible that Red Gate added it's own path when it was installed.  Go to Tools > Options > Environment > Add-in/Macros Security and check the Add-in File Paths list for that path.  If it's there then that would explain it.  I'm not sure that there's any way to determine, at install time, what the preferred installation folder is for Add-Ins so there might not be anything that I can do about this; however, if you want to move DocProject's Add-In file to one of the other registered folders you can.  Just remember that you moved it so that you can delete it manually the next time that you uninstall DocProject.

- Dave

Wow! Great. Thank you.
I`m tryed it and found couple problems (I`m reinstall both DP and Sandcastle):
- installing DP to custom folder cause to error when VS is loading. VS try to load addin assembly from your default location, not from my custom.
- Beta2 in Topic Managment form (which you can open through VS toolbar) had treeview at the left and filter panel at the right side. 1.11 has only treeview. So where filter panel gone ? Note that if open this form from Options menu - all OK.
- New DocProject project created from template in VS has three invalid referenced asseblies (System.Core, ...Linq and someone that I don`t remember) marked by appropriate icon in solution explorer
- I think I missed something but I can`t drag auto-generated topics to my conceptual one in Topic Manager. Am I able to do that at all ? (I`m newbe in Sandcastle)

Thanks.
Jun 9, 2008 at 8:30 PM
And another one question (it`s not related to DP but Sandcastle is removed from codeplex so I try to ask it here):
I encounter some strange help behavour: I compiled help file with Hana style, open it and select some class that`s inherited from another class which is inherited from Object class.
Now I want to filter out all inherited properties so I uncheck Inherited checkbox BUT it removes only those properties/methods that`s inherited from Object class but stay untouched properties from my base class...
It`s happens on couple (not all) my classes. I applyed Sandcastle style may2008 patch but it does`nt help.
Any help ?

Thanks.
Jun 9, 2008 at 9:01 PM
Hi, 

> installing DP to custom folder cause to error when VS is loading. VS try to load addin assembly from your default location, not from my custom.
What is the exact error message?  Is there more information in the Application event log?

> Beta2 in Topic Managment form (which you can open through VS toolbar) had treeview at the left and filter panel at the right side. 1.11 has only treeview. So where filter panel gone ? Note that if open this form from Options menu - all OK.
If you open the Topic Management dialog by clicking the ellipses button (...) in the DocProject Properties window, you'll see the same thing as in older versions.  A few releases back I hooked up the DocProject- Sandcastle toolbar's Topic Management button to a new tool window called, Topic Explorer.  The filter and editor panes were extracted into separate tool windows as well; Topic Filters and Topic Editor.  To open the Topic Filters tool window click the filter icon on the Topic Explorer tool bar.  To open the Topic Editor simply double-click a reference topic in Topic Explorer.

New DocProject project created from template in VS has three invalid referenced asseblies (System.Core, ...Linq and someone that I don`t remember) marked by appropriate icon in solution explorer
When you create a new project in Visual Studio 2008 you can choose the target version of the .NET Framework.  The three assemblies that you mentioned are used when you create projects that target .NET 3.5.  If you choose .NET 3.0 or 2.0 instead then you'll have to delete the references manually.

I tried to make this automated but unfortunately it appears to be a limitation of custom project templates in Visual Studio.  Using the $if$ statement that appears in the built-in project templates didn't work, so I've chosen to include the .NET 3.5 assembly references by default.

Sorry that I forgot to mention this on the release page.  I'll add a note.

> I think I missed something but I can`t drag auto-generated topics to my conceptual one in Topic Manager. Am I able to do that at all ? (I`m newbe in Sandcastle)
You can move the root Namespaces node, but not its children.  The reason is that Sandcastle generates the reference TOC automatically, so DocProject allows you to move the entire reference TOC as a single entity.

Now I want to filter out all inherited properties so I uncheck Inherited checkbox BUT it removes only those properties/methods that`s inherited from Object class but stay untouched properties from my base class
I'll look into this and get back to you.

- Dave

P.S., I'm going to delete your duplicate posts.  (I'm sure they were on accident :)
Jun 10, 2008 at 6:36 PM
davedev wrote:
Hi, 

> installing DP to custom folder cause to error when VS is loading. VS try to load addin assembly from your default location, not from my custom.
What is the exact error message?  Is there more information in the Application event log?

It`s strange, now all ok. Maybe it`s because of my ten times DocProject reinstalling...

> Beta2 in Topic Managment form (which you can open through VS toolbar) had treeview at the left and filter panel at the right side. 1.11 has only treeview. So where filter panel gone ? Note that if open this form from Options menu - all OK.
If you open the Topic Management dialog by clicking the ellipses button (...) in the DocProject Properties window, you'll see the same thing as in older versions.  A few releases back I hooked up the DocProject- Sandcastle toolbar's Topic Management button to a new tool window called, Topic Explorer.  The filter and editor panes were extracted into separate tool windows as well; Topic Filters and Topic Editor.  To open the Topic Filters tool window click the filter icon on the Topic Explorer tool bar.  To open the Topic Editor simply double-click a reference topic in Topic Explorer.

Why ? That`s been very useful when all related to the topis be in one place (window). At least topic treeview and filter panel.

think I missed something but I can`t drag auto-generated topics to my conceptual one in Topic Manager. Am I able to do that at all ? (I`m newbe in Sandcastle)
You can move the root Namespaces node, but not its children.  The reason is that Sandcastle generates the reference TOC automatically, so DocProject allows you to move the entire reference TOC as a single entity.

But I don`t have Namespaces tree node at all! Only node for my core namespace are present.
I`m created empty doc project then add external source. Maybe that`s the problem ?

Now I want to filter out all inherited properties so I uncheck Inherited checkbox BUT it removes only those properties/methods that`s inherited from Object class but stay untouched properties from my base class
I'll look into this and get back to you.

Thanks

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:24 PM
Hi,

> Beta2 in Topic Managment form ... Why ? That`s been very useful when all related to the topis be in one place (window)
If you open the Topic Explorer and the Topic Filter tool windows at the same time it works exactly the same way as what you're used to, but since it's not a modal dialog you're free to do other things as well.

Although as I already mentioned, you can still use the Topic Management dialog by clicking its ellipses button (...) in the DocProject Properties window.  Nothing has changed there.

But I don`t have Namespaces tree node at all!
There should always be a Namespaces node for reference topics - it doesn't matter what type of sources you're using.  Its icon is the standard help icon (a question mark in a circle).  If you don't see it then you've found a bug.  I'd appreciate it if you could please try to reproduce the problem in a new DocProject or DocSite and then send it to me.  Use my public contact form so that I can respond to you with my email address.  Thanks :)

- Dave
Jun 11, 2008 at 7:34 PM

davedev wrote:
Hi,

> Beta2 in Topic Managment form ... Why ? That`s been very useful when all related to the topis be in one place (window)
If you open the Topic Explorer and the Topic Filter tool windows at the same time it works exactly the same way as what you're used to, but since it's not a modal dialog you're free to do other things as well.

Ah, I see. The key word here is  but since it's not a modal dialog you're free to do other things as well.

But I don`t have Namespaces tree node at all!
There should always be a Namespaces node for reference topics - it doesn't matter what type of sources you're using.  Its icon is the standard help icon (a question mark in a circle).  If you don't see it then you've found a bug.  I'd appreciate it if you could please try to reproduce the problem in a new DocProject or DocSite and then send it to me.  Use my public contact form so that I can respond to you with my email address.  Thanks :)

It`s very simple to repro.
- I`m do not add documenting project when create DocProject.
- then I go to the Options dialog and select my assembly in external sources
- open topic management dialog - Namespaces node does`nt appear.

BTW, there`s a bug: selecting external source/version management/missing depend-s does`nt update property value (1 sources (0 directories,....)) in this property grid.
Jun 12, 2008 at 3:15 AM
Hi,

I tried reproducing the bug by folowing your steps however I was unsuccessful - I can't reproduce the issue.

Here are the steps that I took:

1. Open an existing solution.
  2. Create a new DocProject in C#.
  3. Go through the New Project Wizard by simply clicking Next, without choosing any options, and do not select any projects to document in the last wizard step.  The project is created with the default options and without any sources for documentation.
  4. Open the DocProject Properties window for the new project.
  5. Open the External Sources dialog.
  6. Add a new Source that points to an existing assembly (a .dll in my case).
  7. Tab once and the XML Documentation column is filled in automatically.
  8. Press OK to close the External Sources dialog.
  9. The value for the External sources option is updated in the grid: 1 sources (0 directories; 1 assemblies; 0 reflection files)
    1. So the other bug that you mentioned doesn't seem to be valid either.  Have I misunderstood you?
  10. Open the Topic Management dialog by clicking the ellipses button on the Topic Management option in the DocProject Properties window.
  11. The placeholder node, Loading reference topics... appears in the TOC.
  12. When it's finished loading, it's replaced by a Namespaces node with the external source's namespaces listed as its child nodes.

What, if anything, have I done differently than you?

Thanks, 
Dave

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:33 PM

davedev wrote:
Hi,

I tried reproducing the bug by folowing your steps however I was unsuccessful - I can't reproduce the issue.

Here are the steps that I took:

1. Open an existing solution.
  2. Create a new DocProject in C#.
  3. Go through the New Project Wizard by simply clicking Next, without choosing any options, and do not select any projects to document in the last wizard step.  The project is created with the default options and without any sources for documentation.
  4. Open the DocProject Properties window for the new project.
  5. Open the External Sources dialog.
  6. Add a new Source that points to an existing assembly (a .dll in my case).
  7. Tab once and the XML Documentation column is filled in automatically.
  8. Press OK to close the External Sources dialog.
  9. The value for the External sources option is updated in the grid: 1 sources (0 directories; 1 assemblies; 0 reflection files)
    1. So the other bug that you mentioned doesn't seem to be valid either.  Have I misunderstood you?
  10. Open the Topic Management dialog by clicking the ellipses button on the Topic Management option in the DocProject Properties window.
  11. The placeholder node, Loading reference topics... appears in the TOC.
  12. When it's finished loading, it's replaced by a Namespaces node with the external source's namespaces listed as its child nodes.

What, if anything, have I done differently than you?

Thanks, 
Dave

I`m uploaded video which is demonstrate the problem. Download it from http://www.freespace.com.ua/file/55734/650d12f9/33_online.html
Jun 13, 2008 at 2:07 AM
Hi,

Thanks for creating the video; however, the site isn't in English and I can't figure out how to download it.

Regardless though I may have a test case to work on now so the video is probably unnecessary anyway.  I plan to release an update to DocProject 1.11.0 within the next day or so and I'll try to include a fix for this as well.

Thanks, 
Dave
Jun 13, 2008 at 2:11 AM
I created a work item for the missing Namespaces node issue: 

http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=17032
Jun 13, 2008 at 5:33 AM

davedev wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for creating the video; however, the site isn't in English and I can't figure out how to download it.

Regardless though I may have a test case to work on now so the video is probably unnecessary anyway.  I plan to release an update to DocProject 1.11.0 within the next day or so and I'll try to include a fix for this as well.

Thanks, 
Dave

Ah, that`s my fault. Use this link please (in left-top corner you can select language)
http://depositfiles.com/files/5955805
Jun 14, 2008 at 7:59 AM
Hi,

I was able to reproduce the problem and determined that it was caused by having only one namespace being documented.

I've replaced the DocProject 1.11.0 RC installer on the release page with an updated version, so try downloading it again.

Thanks for the feedback,
Dave