Unexpected DarkGray

Topics: Bugs, Sandcastle
Aug 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM
Hi,

As often with DocProject, I'm not sure if it's a DocProject or SandCastle bug, or maybe a feature ;)

I'm using the latest release, and I was trying to import my old project. I then edited some shared content. What followed is that most of the help text appeared in, as i discovered, DarkGrey color. Which is not very dark, so it became pretty unreadable.

After two days, I think I coined the problem, but I can't spend more on this, so I'm leaving it as a guess. I've been trying to remove the "Send feedback to Microsoft" at the bottom, and "Send Feedback" from the top of the pages. I guess the top one became my problem. At some point, what was <font color="DarkGrey">some stuff</font>, became <font color="DarkGrey" />, since I deleted "some stuff". This is perfect xml, but I guess both my browsers interpreted it as html, and thought that I've got an unclosed font tag.

As I said, I don't have any time to verify this. The "view source" command of FireFox displays something very different from the actual html file on disk, so I'd have to use Fiddler or something. And each build is soo slow (although it's much faster than before).

Last note, I think that putting hardcoded color values in the templates is at least unprofessional. That's the SandCastle team's fault, of course.

ulu
Aug 18, 2008 at 1:27 PM
Hi ulu, 

The issue with everything turning grey does sound like the HTML got messed up.  The DarkGrey color is used in the header content item, as you're probably already aware, so I suggest removing it entirely.  You can use the Topic Designer in source mode.

The culprit is most likely my HtmlToXmlConverter class, which probably made the font tag self-closing when you saved changes to the header content item without it having any inner text.  (Adding a single space between opening and closing font tags would probably fix the problem too.)

Sandcastle doesn't seem to provide an easy way to disable the feedback links.  See the following thread for a possible solution (untested): 

Disable Send Feedback
http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/devdocs/thread/04cc73e9-8bb5-42a6-92db-19fd5e40eb7d/

Although that thread's quite old now so it might not apply anymore.

You might want to request a feature on the Sandcastle Issue Tracker to make it easier to disable feedback links in the future.  And then maybe somebody will look into implementing it even sooner for the next release of Sandcastle Styles.

- Dave
Aug 18, 2008 at 1:31 PM
Hi ulu,

And in case you're not aware, you can use the Topic Designer to edit the email address and other information related to the feedback links instead of completely removing them.  Just select the feedback document and you'll see a list of items, some of which you'll have to switch to source mode to edit.

- Dave
Aug 20, 2008 at 10:54 AM
Thanks Dave, I ended up adding style="display:none" in the source view (I was too scared to delete anything since I thought last time I had done it and everything went gray again)

ulu