Topic Mgr and Topic Designer locking up VS2005

Topics: Bugs, General Questions
Aug 21, 2008 at 10:23 PM
I'm quite sure I've misconfigured something somewhere, but I seemed to be making progress and suddenly I stopped being able to access the designer or manager.  Every time I try to access these (either in the DocProject properties window or the Toolbar) it locks VS up permanently.  Previous I had had issues when I put too much under source control.  I deleted the DocProject project, re-added and reconfigured it, but I'm still having this issue.  Any thoughts as to what I might have done would be greatly appreciated.
Aug 21, 2008 at 11:43 PM
Hi,

I haven't experienced a lock-up so I'm not sure what would cause it.

  1. Have you ever had a problem with lock-ups in VS before DocProject was installed?
  2. Do you have other VS add-ins or packages that might be causing this issue?  (i.e., some sort of conflict.)
  3. If you wait long enough does it eventually un-lock itself?  (I mean, within a minute or two.)
  4. How many topics does your project generate?
  5. Have you tried opening DocProject's source code and attaching the debugger?  At least then you can see if DocProject's code is blocking the UI thread for some reason.  (How to Use The Source Code.)
- Dave
Aug 22, 2008 at 12:24 PM
Thanks for the reply...  I was hoping you'd say "Oh that old problem..."  :)

Have you ever had a problem with lock-ups in VS before DocProject was installed? 
    No I haven't.  Although in learning how to use these tools (Sandcastle, DocProject) I've been messing with aspects of my project that I never had before. 
Do you have other VS add-ins or packages that might be causing this issue?  (i.e., some sort of conflict.)
     Your add-in is the only one I have installed.
If you wait long enough does it eventually un-lock itself?  (I mean, within a minute or two.) 
    Unfortunately no... left it up all last night to no avail.
How many topics does your project generate?
   Well, when it was working, about 500 or so.  I was having a problem getting my example/code tags to get pulled in (most of my other XML Comments were being pulled, but a few weren't for some reason) and as I was trying to figure THAT out I started getting a strange error about "not being able to changes properties during a build".  In retrospect, messing with that (I THINK) got me into this state, though I don't know what did it.
Have you tried opening DocProject's source code and attaching the debugger?  At least then you can see if DocProject's code is blocking the UI thread for some reason.
    I have not, though I will as soon as I post this reply.

Thanks for responding, if... no... when I figure it out I'll post an update :)
Aug 22, 2008 at 2:22 PM
Well, the issue has gone away as mysteriously as it showed up.  I checked out the entire DocProject from my solution and then re-ran it.  Although I thought I'd done that previously, perhaps I had some file locked open from a previous try (and the restart coupled with the checkout fixed it)?  I'm not sure.  Sorry for that whimper... I hate mysterious recoveries almost as much as mysterious ailments, but I'll take it.
Aug 22, 2008 at 4:33 PM
Hi,

Thanks for providing an update.

You might be correct that the problem had to do with read-only or locked files and restarting VS fixed it, although typically if a file cannot be accessed an exception is thrown.  And since VS is a COM app, it usually just swallows the exception.  Worst-case scenario in my experience, VS doesn't handle the exception properly and simply crashes, but I've never seen it just freeze up forever.

It's also probably worth noting that the latest version of DocProject automatically checks out files before attempting to write to them and removes the read-only attribute for files that aren't under source control, but it's also possible that I missed one or more pieces of code that require this auto-check out behavior.

If you have the time, maybe you could try reproducing the problem by checking in your entire DocProject and performing the same operation as you did before.  If you see the same behavior please try attaching the debugger so that you can provide me with a stack trace.

Thanks, 
Dave