How to integrate XML comments from C++ project?

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:02 PM
Edited Aug 21, 2008 at 11:13 PM

I've got a solution that has both C# and C++ projects. I've managed to generate a .xml file from the C++ code but I can't figure out how to integrate that .xml into my compiled Help file. I tried adding it as a reference to my DocProject but it doesn't work, presumably because it's unmanaged.

Where can I configure DocProject to add in additional XML files?

Thanks,
Andrew

Edit: Just found the relevant previous posts on this so I understand the basic issue now. Any updates on upcoming support for this kind of thing?

Coordinator
Aug 21, 2008 at 11:22 PM
Hi Andrew, 

Currently Sandcastle doesn't generate documentation for unmanaged libraries.  So what do you expect DocProject to do with an XML documentation file that was generated for an unmanaged library?  I.e., where should it place the documentation if there are no corresponding API topics being generated?

If you have a managed C++ project, on the other hand, you can add it as a project reference and DocProject will build help for it like it does for C# projects.

The Topic Editor saves external XML documentation in your project's Help\Comments folder.  You can add XML documentation files here if you'd like but they must correspond to managed assemblies that are being documented by the project.  So again, even though you can add the XML file to your DocProject it won't know what to do with it since it's not building help for corresponding APIs.

- Dave
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM
Hi Andrew,

I forgot to mention that you may want to look into writing conceptual topics using MAML to document your unmanaged code.  In Topic Explorer click the toolbar button that inserts a new topic and choose an appropriate template from the dialog.  For general-purpose topics, choose the default Conceptual template.

- Dave
Aug 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Yeah, that's what I'll do for now. I've already got some other conceptual topics started that way and I'll bite the bullet and do the unmanaged C++ API documentation that way too.

I'll look into the possibility of creating a fake managed C++ project so I can get the reflection but it may just not be worth it.

Thanks,

Andrew