Inheritance filter and overloaded methods

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Hi,

I have a VS2008 project and I'm trying to build a documentation with DocProject and the inheritance filter (see http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=34295). One of my classes contains a multiple overloaded method called "GetInstance". Building the documentation with the inheritance filter turned OFF produces an output in the toc.xml file like the following:

<topic id="Overload:Project.Class.GetInstance" project="Project" file="...">
<topic id="M:Project.Class.GetInstance(Project.ClassType,ProjectName.ClassProtocolType)" project="Project" file="..." />
<topic id="M:Project.Class.GetInstance(Project.ClassType,ProjectName.ClassProtocolType,System.UInt32)" project="Project" file="..." />
<topic id="M:Project.Class.GetInstance(Project.ClassType,ProjectName.ClassProtocolType,System.UInt32,System.UInt32)" project="Project" file="..." />
<topic id="M:Project.Class.GetInstance(Project.ClassType,ProjectName.ClassProtocolType,System.UInt32,System.UInt32,System.UInt32)" project="Project" file="..." />
</topic>

Turning the inheritance filter to ON results in the following toc.xml:

<topic id="Overload:Project.Class.GetInstance" project="Project" file="..." />

... and that's all. The subitems of the topic are left out. Is there a workaround or a known bug?

mnx

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2008 at 6:15 PM
Hi,

What settings are you using for the inheritance filter?

If you leave Local unchecked does it then generate an appropriate TOC?

Please examine the information for the dynamic filters build step in the Output window to see if there's any message pertaining to the removal of those topics.  There may be some indication as to why the topics are being removed.

- Dave
Sep 11, 2008 at 6:41 AM

Hi,

I just checked the inheritance filter settings and the result is:

Local checked:   TOC with missing overloaded methods

Local unchecked:   TOC is being built correctly

I included a part of the Output window below with the Local setting checked:

--------

Step 4 of 12: Apply Dynamic Topic Filters

Applying 2 dynamic topic filter(s) defined in: C:\Project\Help\Settings\dynamicFilters.xml

Excluded 0 topic(s).

--------

mnx

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:46 AM

Additional note:

The Output window from the post above mentions 2 dynamic filters. The second one is a Categories filter and turning it on/off doesn't affect the issue with the missing overloaded methods in the TOC.

... just for the sake of completeness ...

mnx

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2008 at 10:39 AM
Hi, 

This appears to be a bug in the inheritance filter with Local enabled.  Unfortunately I don't have a workaround for now.

I'll add a new bug report and have it fixed for the next release.

Thanks for the feedback, 
Dave
Coordinator
Sep 17, 2008 at 10:56 AM
Work item: 
http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=18540