Unresolved assembly error

Topics: General Questions
Sep 25, 2008 at 1:06 PM
I've got a Web Service project in VS.NET 2005 that I want to create a help file to. Stumbled on DocProject ant thought I give it a go.
I've installed everything and created a DocProject project but I get an error while building it.

MrefBuilder (v2.4.10520.1)
Copyright ¸ Microsoft 2006

Info: Loaded 1 assemblies for reflection and 27 dependency assemblies.
Error: Unresolved assembly reference: System (System, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089) required by Sybase.Data.AseClient
Non-zero exit code: 1

Step 2 DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.ExternalProcessException: Execute MRefBuilder:
The "C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\ProductionTools\MRefBuilder" process failed with exit code: 1.

Successful Steps: 1 of 12
Failed Steps: 1

I think I know what the problem is but I don't know how to solve it. The Sybase.Data.AseClient is a managed dll that needs several other unmanaged dll:s. The main project doesn't have references to the unmanaged dll:s (it is not possible to set). The solution to this is that they are copied to the target folder with the post build event. Does anyone know how to solve this problem in a DocProject?

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:48 PM
Hi,

The issue seems to be that your Sybase assembly depends upon System.dll from .NET 1.0, but DocProject's auto-resolver cannot locate that reference.  My guess is that a System.dll from a later Framework version has already been resolved.  This could be a bug in DocProject but it also just might be a problem with binding redirection or simply an impossibility due to Framework binding policy.

The Build | Missing dependencies option in the DocProject Properties window is meant to solve problems like this.  Try adding the .NET 1.0 System.dll to the Missing dependencies list.  You should be able to find the 1.0 System.dll in the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.* folder if the .NET Framework 1.0 is installed.

- Dave
Sep 29, 2008 at 10:08 AM
Hi,
I couldn't find System.dll in v1.0.* folder on any of my computers. I did find a System.dll in a v1.1.4322 folder on another computer that i copied and referenced to from Missing dependencies. That didn't solve the problem I still get the same error... I'm not able to locate the dll and I'm not sure I want to install .NET Framework 1.0 on my computer.

Could you look at the problem if I sent you the Sybase db drivers?

Sep 29, 2008 at 10:29 AM
>>xilian: That didn't solve the problem I still get the same error...
Your problem is related to this Work Issue at Sandcastle, and Eric is provided a fix.

Best regards,
Paul.
Sep 29, 2008 at 12:39 PM
Yepp the problem seems to be related to SandCastle itself, thanks Paul that solved the problems!

I added the CustomResolver.dll in SandCastle\ProductionTools and replaced the resolver tag in MRefBuilder.config in my DocProject (Help\Presentation\Style\Configuration\MRefBuilder.config) with this:

<

resolver type="CustomResolver.CustomAssemblyResolver" assembly="%DXROOT%\ProductionTools\CustomResolver.dll" use-gac="false">
<!--
Add redirects for each reference it can't find telling it which strong name to use instead. Multiple redirects can be
specified for the same missing reference if necessary to provide multiple choices. The first one found is used.
-->

<

Redirect from="System, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
to="System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />

<

Redirect from="System, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
to="System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />

<

Redirect from="System.Data, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
to="System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />

<

Redirect from="System.Data, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
to="System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />

</
resolver>

But now I encountered another problem.
While compiling the DocProject  I reach step 12. During step 12 I get an unhandled win32 exception in hhc.exe.
I've included the output and a eventlog message, but it is not that informative... hope you can make something out of it Dave.

This is how the output looks like:

Step 11 of 12: Execute DBCSFix

C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\ProductionTools\DBCSFix /d:"Help\Html" /l:1033
DBCSFix (v2.4.10520.1)
Copyright ¸ 2007
Converting unsupported high-order characters to 7-bit ASCII equivalents.
EncodingName: Windows-1252

Step 11 Time Elapsed: 00:00:01.1115984

Step 12 of 12: Compile Help 1.x
C:\Program Files\Html Help Workshop\hhc.exe "C:\...\XYZHelp.hhp"

Microsoft HTML Help Compiler 4.74.8702
Compiling c:\...\XYZHelp.chm
HHC4003: Warning: The following option line does not contain an '=' character separating the option and its value: [OPTIONS].
HHC3004: Warning: adm.gif : The HTML tag "#@0¨Ã;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: adm_dev.gif : The HTML tag "\°`¡ÈB §èùÒJCŒü¸DˆBœ:2TPò)R˜ô`!B!”‡" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: adm_dev.gif : The HTML tag "¸bGE4 t°Ñ€M  $„Ð4“@d×PæÃ@;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: adm_dev_arch.gif : The HTML tag "±Ä'êÁŠ@½uá 8‡ÑŠzU¡#UÐð£UBñçÁ IŒ]PE<<..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: alert_caution.gif : The HTML tag "$f'J=C,  AJ.#°87I-?" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: alert_security.gif : The HTML tag "í›à“ál¥¸™l¢AÒ(X2L‚°„;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3002: Warning: big_adm.gif : The HTML tag "m" is missing a closing angle bracket.
HHC3004: Warning: big_arch.gif : The HTML tag "É ŠÇX²@ud €Mˆ,eZœ ¯£H4Oö™Ð`E&G”&EŠäÈö‘ˆ p,J..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: big_dev.gif : The HTML tag "êòÅ""è àZ rê9¯—IamÐéP­£†ÜøAîÇ{«G]áí„÷‰½ßÌ©-oðÅ÷..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: big_kw.gif : The HTML tag "Á_čGžy¦H ^)è^xÿ•u\`BRˆZOLmªRÞ_Ž"!…_éÕØU$Ö..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: Caution.gif : The HTML tag "$f'J=C,  AJ.#°87I-?" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3002: Warning: CFW.gif : The HTML tag "T" is missing a closing angle bracket.
HHC3004: Warning: collapse_all.gif : The HTML tag "Õ××" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3002: Warning: copycode.gif : The HTML tag "c" is missing a closing angle bracket.
HHC3004: Warning: copycodeHighlight.gif : The HTML tag "‡”K+˜…Sb&WTP^4B‚“'U”b$cNb[g¶105O*..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3002: Warning: dev.gif : The HTML tag "t8" is missing a closing angle bracket.
HHC3004: Warning: dev_arch.gif : The HTML tag "ðCHàØ„VU˜[0ðÀ‰4Ð@…hF1Ö˜p4P4hN4…kÉ…H..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3002: Warning: dropdown.gif : The HTML tag "y" is missing a closing angle bracket.
HHC3004: Warning: dropdownHover.gif : The HTML tag "ºEP$iP£™A£]Àa)ÍB$;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: drpdown.gif : The HTML tag "£È1µ ÒÁ•zÁRD¤l¾RTÀïºëö/ ?ÇçÑ~V „…†… !;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: drpdown_orange.gif : The HTML tag "ÿÓ¤ÿË–ÿȐÿùéÿÅ‹ÿåÄÿéÌÿ׫ÿíÓÿϝÿà¼ÿðÚÿ÷åÿÜ´ÿöåÿôàÿì..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: drpdown_orange_up.gif : The HTML tag "ÿÓ¤ÿË–ÿùéÿÅ‹ÿȐÿåÄÿéÌÿà¼ÿðÚÿϝÿ׫ÿíÓÿ÷åÿöåÿÜ´ÿÏœÿô..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: drpup.gif : The HTML tag "===" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: expand_all.gif : The HTML tag "«¬­ÁÁÁÈÈÉ°±²ÍÍ͹º»çèèûûû½¾¾‘‘" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: greencheck.gif : The HTML tag "‚a8RaÉ,tJD;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: greychck.gif : The HTML tag "‚a(RaÉ,›tJ D;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: header_sql_tutorial_logo.GIF : The HTML tag "::ØØØ:88×××ÕÕÕ866;99" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: kw_adm.gif : The HTML tag "ó1Í‘!SÎYÐC‡àØdàÖ‚ EWViø4Ó XG•¹èƒ9/^Üx&Ô¨°..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3002: Warning: kw_adm_arch.gif : The HTML tag "hQ" is missing a closing angle bracket.
HHC3004: Warning: kw_dev.gif : The HTML tag "¤a… J¡BQJ•‡žrÅÊ*R8"d²¢• RV¡òäÉ•C:X¨PaH“..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: kw_dev_arch.gif : The HTML tag "¬/êÔÖ†1 UÔGÖåÁxEñcQÈ@äT<¸Ùs‡É•…oDÑ@L4—7..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: load.gif : The HTML tag "òÐöNG;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: privclass.gif : The HTML tag "³5cµdvgwèâÑðÀ4ž´^p‰žxUhíµdvŽOb{õá†ÿÿÿ!ùO,..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: privdelegate.gif : The HTML tag "¡ÚnÛH[u·ÁÒ¦²Ç§±ÇØmÙÉÐÝÛßç©Eªëîóêìñž°J^wòóö˜§¼»ÃÔô..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: privdelegate.gif : The HTML tag "0`@ ª|©z¥I.ô͐LjH"?@`…΂r@D$E 8H„€Ì*..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: privenum.gif : The HTML tag "ñàŽdvÙ¿i½ÆÖêÏo¿¶«cu˜§¼ß¸I¸ÁÒ«·ËéÊggwm–çÈdUhž..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: privenumeration.gif : The HTML tag "ñàŽdvÙ¿i½ÆÖêÏo¿¶«cu˜§¼ß¸I¸ÁÒ«·ËéÊggwm–çÈdUhž..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: privevent.gif : The HTML tag "‡@P$"58#Q¬DR0ãB•œ(ˆ;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HC3004: Warning: privextension.gif : The HTML tag "Ÿã¬ãL~á½ÆÖt¥ÿz+{§O¨¼p½†°ÿ@lÇôæôdv]o‡ÑjÒHxÙOc|ÑmÒú..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: privinterface.gif : The HTML tag "@J „!IW83",*MW" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: privmethod.gif : The HTML tag "Ÿûûüú›û•8–ËgÌŸª»|-}ôæôÒkÓ0€óãóÓØÛðÔðìÒìN‘z+{Oc|»..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: privmethod.gif : The HTML tag "§Š+92$,-] Nh"K)8C4I H‚ GFR3#U?‚WL..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: privproperty.gif : The HTML tag "ˆT@`#j Ò𧆃,Dé€ !°ÁŠlÁ4¯P0Z$äKƒ Q" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: protclass.gif : The HTML tag "³Ë¯uôá†È«dØlÙîêÞëáͦ…8íµ žxðÀ4óëÛõì²ðèÖîÛ–þõ¬5cµä..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3004: Warning: protdelegate.gif : The HTML tag "¡ê‹ëËÌÉäçîH[uÙÞæÛßç—£­;Oi³½Ðëî󓡺ùúûѼâK_yßÏ®©Eª—..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3002: Warning: protdelegate.gif : The HTML tag "Qk" is missing a closing angle bracket.
HHC3004: Warning: protenum.gif : The HTML tag "áÓ·ëÛ´åÃYÿÿÿ!ùZ,¤€Z‚ƒ !ƒŽ#:Žƒ$..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3002: Warning: protenum.gif : The HTML tag "U" is missing a closing angle bracket.
HHC3004: Warning: protenumeration.gif : The HTML tag "áÓ·ëÛ´åÃYÿÿÿ!ùZ,¤€Z‚ƒ !ƒŽ#:Žƒ$..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
HHC3002: Warning: protenumeration.gif : The HTML tag "U" is missing a closing angle bracket.

This is what the Eventlog Says:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DocProject
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date:  2008-09-29
Time:  13:02:09
User:  N/A
Computer: XZY
Description:
Step 12 DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.ExternalProcessException: Compile Help 1.x:

DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.ExternalProcessException: The "C:\Program Files\Html Help Workshop\hhc.exe" process failed with exit code: 1.
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildStepExecutionEngine.ExecuteStepAsync(IBuildStep step, Boolean outOfBand)
   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Engine.BuildStepExecutionEngine.ExecuteStep(IBuildStep step, Int32 number, Boolean outOfBand, Exception& exception)

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:14 PM
>>xilianBut now I encountered another problem.
What is the language of your help system you are creating, and what is the language of the OS.

>>xilian: C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\ProductionTools\DBCSFix /d:"Help\Html" /l:1033
The 1033 is for English language version, if your help language is different change the culture/language settings.

>>xilian: HHC4003: Warning: The following option line does not contain an '=' character separating the option and its value: [OPTIONS].
This is a bug in ChmBuilder, it should be possible to fix it in the BuildProcess - still do not know DocProject that much but could
look it up for you, if you cannot.

If you know where in the BuildProcess, you can change the \...\XYZHelp.hhp file, then do this...

string fileContents = File.ReadAllText(@\...\XYZHelp.hhp); // must be the correct path
    File.WriteAllText(@\...\XYZHelp.hhp, fileContents,  new UTF8Encoding(false));

before running the hhc compiler.

Best regards,
Paul.
Sep 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM
Hi,

Thanks for posting the answer to the first problem Paul.

The problem with step 12 is probably related to this HTML Help Workshop compiler bug:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/devdocs/thread/50d1479d-7fc3-4943-bf6a-cd2fe7d82d72/

The solution is to rename your path by removing all ".h" parts.  It's an ugly workaround but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way of turning this behavior off on hhc.exe.

- Dave
Sep 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM
>>Paul: What is the language of your help system you are creating, and what is the language of the OS.
>>Paul: The 1033 is for English language version, if your help language is different change the culture/language settings.
I'm creating a helpsystem for english and there aren't any other languages included. I'm compiling on a english XP with SP2.

>>Paul: This is a bug in ChmBuilder, it should be possible to fix it in the BuildProcess - still do not know DocProject that much but could look it up for you, if you cannot.
I do not know SandCastle or the DocProject that well. So I don't know where to "patch" the build process.

I tested my project in SHFB before the DocProject and I got a chm quite easily but the DocProject seemed quite good too so I wanted to test it also...
Paul your help is very much appriciated but don't put a too big effort in helping me. I'm just testing DocProject shallowly and thought it was polite to report the errors.
I will probably go with SHFB if I runn into more problems.
Sep 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM
Hi,

I certainly appreciate that you're notifying my of your issues with DocProject instead of just assuming that it's broken.  However, note that the problems you've reported are not caused by DocProject - they will occur in SHFB as well unless you have provided one of the fixes mentioned above.

The main issue is that with so many moving parts in the system (e.g., DocProject, Sandcastle, HTML Help WorkShop, Visual Studio, MSBuild, etc.) there's bound to be a few issues that you'll need to work out by some trial and error before getting comfortable with the software.

- Dave
Sep 29, 2008 at 2:48 PM
Thanks for you answer Dave.

I just used SHFB on the same project to successfully generate a help file and I've not renamed any of the files or folders in anyway.
Searched for.h in my project and didn't find any...

Then I relized that the DocProject was named "[CompanyName].[SystemName].[SubSystemName].Help".
I changed the name to "[CompanyName].[SystemName].[SubSystemName].Doc" and now the compilation go's through and I get a chm file!

I do relize the complexity of the project and think you are doing a good job (that's why I tested the project in the first place :-) ).

Thanks for your help!

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Hi,

Glad to hear that it works for you now.

Naming a DocProject or DocSite with .Help seems to be common.  Maybe in the next release I should pop up a warning when Help 1.x is selected that a .h was detected in the path and that it may cause a problem with the Help 1.x compiler.  Then, if possible, it could offer to rename the project and the path automatically to a new name that is specified by the user.  I'll add a work item.

- Dave
Sep 29, 2008 at 2:57 PM
Work item:
http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=18721