Not working under vista 64 & VS2008

Topics: Bugs
Oct 23, 2008 at 11:28 AM
Hi, $0$0$0$0I just change my PC. $0$0$0$0$0I'm working in Vista 64 bits OS. And it seems that DocProject doesn't work anymore. $0$0$0$0$0Visual Studio stop working and restart automaticly$0$0$0$0$0Tell me if you need more informations$0$0$0$0$0Vincent B.$0
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2008 at 1:03 PM
Hi,

Check the Application Event Log for error information.  Also see this related issue and discusssion:

http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=17410
http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=33777

Without any diagnostic information it's hard to say what is causing the problem.  You could also try reinstalling DocProject as per the instructions from the discussion above and see if that helps.

- Dave
Oct 23, 2008 at 1:29 PM
Hi, $0$0$0$0 Thank for your quick answer.$0$0$0$0$0 I'd looked at the two links above. $0$0$0$0$0 I don't really understand, do I need to change registry keys ? or do something with the source code ?$0$0$0$0$0 Here my event log :   (may be the matter doesn't come form DocProject)$0=> An error occurred while attempting to load the Help 2.x compiler: $0$0 System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {314111B4-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} failed due to the following error: 80040154.$0$0   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.Help2CompilerLoader.LoadAssembly()$0$0   at DaveSexton.DocProject.Sandcastle.Help2CompilerLoader.LoadAssembly(AssemblyName name)$0$0$0$0$0=> Warning: Help 2.x files collection file was not imported.$0$0=> Warning: Help 2.x associative index file was not imported$0$0=> Warning: Help 2.x dynamic link index file was not imported.$0$0=> Warning: Help 2.x context-sensitive index file was not imported.$0$0=> Warning: Help 2.x keyword index file was not imported.$0$0=> Warning: Help 2.x search window index file was not imported.$0$0=> Warning: Help 2.x named index file was not imported.$0$0$0$0$0Vincent B.$0$0$0$0
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2008 at 2:02 PM
Hi,

> I don't really understand, do I need to change registry keys ? or do something with the source code ?

No.  You should uninstall DocProject completely (via Control Panel), download the latest version, extract the .msi file as per the instructions in this discussion (e.g., open a command-prompt and run the following command: DocProject-1110RC.exe /c), and then execute the .msi to properly install DocProject on your x64 OS.

Since you're using Vista, if you have UAC enabled then you must open a command window by right-mouse clicking a shortcut (e.g., Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt) and selecting Run as administrator.  Then in the command window, cd to the directory where you extracted the .msi file and execute it from there.

Full disclosure: I don't have an x64 machine to test DocProject so I have no idea if it will work even after we solve your current problem.  Although, nobody has reported any critical issues yet that we haven't been able to work around.

> Here my event log  [snip]

Thanks, but that Event Log entry seems unrelated.  (Not having Help 2.x installed is not related and also is not really an error condition, so DocProject silently logs it without notifying the user.)

Are there any other entries that have DocProject as the source?

What I'm reallly interested in seeing is a stack trace if DocProject is causing an exception.

- Dave
Oct 23, 2008 at 3:24 PM
Thank !$0$0$0$0It's working well now !$0$0$0$0$0we need to add [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dave Sexton\DocProject] by hand$0$0$0$0$0Very good job !$0