Any way to include constant values in Help?

Topics: General Questions
Oct 27, 2008 at 7:40 PM
I looked around to see if this has already been covered and did not find anything.  I apologize if this is a duplicate.

When we generate documentation in NDoc, constants are documented as follows:

public const int ACCESS_ERROR_CODE = -2147220990;

When I generate the documentation in DocProject, I get:

public const int ACCESS_ERROR_CODE

Is there any mechansim available in Doc Project to get the value included like NDoc does?  This is very useful to our customers who are interfacing to our application using a non .NET technology.

Thanks for your help.

Tim
Coordinator
Oct 27, 2008 at 8:20 PM
Hi Tim,

Microsoft's MRefBuilder tool is responsible for acquiring the metadata that is later used to generate syntax sections.  I don't think this tool reads the values of constants into the reflection XML file that it generates, so there's the first problem.  The second problem is that the syntax generators probably don't handle this scenario either, given that they were designed to work in the context of Sandcastle, which depends upon MRefBuilder.

You should add this as a feature request over at the Sandcastle project.  It's a feature that I'd like to see implemented as well.  Although I don't use constants too often it would still be especially useful for Enums when they are exposed in a SOA.

- Dave
Oct 27, 2008 at 10:28 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. 

I'll post this as a request against Sandcastle.

Tim