Show me broken or missing comments for my DocProject

Topics: Features, General Questions
Nov 6, 2008 at 3:16 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2008 at 3:32 PM
In the list of warnings about errorness xml comments like "Warning 575 Unknown reference link target 'M:Bla'" or "Warning 597 Invalid reference link target '!:BlaBla'" is there a way to find the actual location of this error in my source code? Where is the xml comment that refernces this invalid link target?  
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2008 at 3:41 PM
Hi,

I use the C# code compiler-generated warnings to tell me where I'm missing comments.  Since the compiler is unaware of Sandcastle's and DocProject's filtering capabilities it's not possible for the warning list to be filtered.

I'll consider adding a feature to DocProject so that it produces its own list of warnings that respect the filters, but in order for this to be useful I guess you'd have to disable the compiler warnings so that you don't get both (this can be done by going to the project properties and on the Build tab entering a comma-separated list of numeric warning IDs into the Suppress warnings field).

- Dave
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2008 at 3:43 PM
Work item:
http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=19362
Nov 6, 2008 at 3:48 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2008 at 3:51 PM
To use the c# compiler generated warnings is a little flawed when you want to generate documentation only a for small portion of your source code. In this cause you could ingore a lot of the visual studio generated warnings and instead only care about the one that actually would end up in the final chm file.
In our case we have thousands of warings that don't matter since the classes the occur in are exlcuded by the DocProject Topic Manager.