SharePoint API (..and other MS APIs) References to MSDN

Topics: DocSites, Extensibility, Features, Sandcastle
Nov 6, 2008 at 7:16 PM
I would like to be able to have references to the SharePoint API within my project scope link to the MSDN Library rather than just noting the inheritence to a SharePoint API member with no available link.  This should be possible using similar functionality that is in place for the .NET Framework member references; however, I have been unable to figure out exactly how to configure external references appropriately to make this happen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DMM
Nov 7, 2008 at 12:47 AM
Hi,

Sandcastle uses the MTPS Content Service to get HREFs that point to help topics on MSDN.  I believe topics are identified by the id that is given to them in the XML reflection file that MRefBuilder.exe generates.

In order for Sandcastle to send the value of a cref attribute to the content service it must find the corresponding id value in the .NET Framework reflection files that ship with Sandcastle.  I have a feeling that the SharePoint APIs are not part of those reflection files.  But even if you were to get your hands on them somehow (e.g., you could run the SharePoint assemblies through MRefBuilder), there's no guarantee that the MTPS will be able to resolve the link for you.

This is more of a question about Sandcastle though, so you may want to try asking in the Sandcastle forum and the MSDN Developer Documentation and Help System forum instead to widen your audience.

- Dave