DocProject projects in Team Build definition

Topics: General Questions
Nov 11, 2008 at 1:46 PM
The scenario in the title gives very strange results, the build output gives the following after step 12 of the doc project of the first solution in the build definition:

Step 12 Time Elapsed: 00:00:04.9671920

Build step execution complete.

Verifying output...

Done.

Total Time Elapsed: 00:00:57.8437520

Done executing task "BuildDocProject".

Done building target "CoreBuildHelp" in project "Vbi.Fortis.Caching.Docs.csproj".

Target "Build" in file "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.Common.targets" from project "C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\BigTasty\Weekly Main Build\Sources\Caching\Develop\Vbi.Fortis.Caching.Docs\Vbi.Fortis.Caching.Docs.csproj":

Building target "Build" completely.

No input files were specified.

Done building target "Build" in project "Vbi.Fortis.Caching.Docs.csproj".

Done Building Project "C:\Documents and Settings\TFSService\Local Settings\Temp\BigTasty\Weekly Main Build\Sources\Caching\Develop\Vbi.Fortis.Caching.Docs\Vbi.Fortis.Caching.Docs.csproj" (default targets).

Then the build just stops (build failed) even though there are more solutions to build. The strange thing is that none of the build steps show up as failed in the build view of VS 2008, though a few have the icon as if they are still processing. Any solutions to this problem?

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2008 at 3:43 AM
Hi,

I think that after DocProject writes "Total Time Elapsed: ###" to the output the build is out of its hands.

"No input files were specified" is therefore not a DocProject message.  (I searched the codebase in VS just to be sure and there weren't any matches.)

It's probably a Team Build message since I found similar output herehere and here, but with no reasonable solution.  Unfortunately since I don't have TFS I can't say that I've seen this before or that I can even try to reproduce it.  As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure if that's an error at all :)

I know that people have had success using DocProject with Team Build in the past so hopefully someone else will have some insight and comment.

For now, try increasing the verbosity of the log output and maybe the problem will be clearer.  Also check the Application event log for some error information.  You could also try building a simplified solution to see if you can reproduce the problem.  Then add stuff to it until you get back to the current solution and maybe along the way you'll identify the problem.

- Dave
Nov 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Bummer - I've just run across this exact same issue.  As soon as the Docs project completes its processing, it doesn't move on to the next item in the process (in my case, it just isn't running the "AfterDropBuild" items it needs to in order for my copy to work on my published site.

Has there been any others with this issue?  I can't seem to find a resolution on the Net anywhere.

Tim

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:53 PM

I have never found a resolution for the problem, and i since moved to another documentation solution (also not running them during builds).