change topic icon for tree nodes in CHM

Topics: General Questions
Nov 17, 2008 at 5:37 PM
In the content tab of the resulting CHM all topic nodes (classes, enums, members etc.) have an icon with a question mark in it. Is that the default? How can I change that?
Nov 17, 2008 at 9:51 PM
Edited Nov 17, 2008 at 9:53 PM
Hi,

I believe it is the default (it appears the same even in pure Sandcastle builds).

Apparently it is possible to change the icons using the HTML Help Workshop, but I haven't tried it myself.

If changing the icons requires a change to individual nodes in the TOC file (.hhc) then you'll have to post-process the file after it's created by the ChmBuilder step (this tool ships with Sandcastle - DocProject uses it to generate the HTML Help Workshop files).  Post-processing can be done in your project's Build Process Component by injecting a dynamic build step or you can create a custom build engine provider.

Note that DocProject's partial build support will allow you to modify the .hhc file manually to test things out before going as far as implementing automatic post-processing.  Building the project after a full build with modifications made to the .hhc file only will then rebuild the compiled help but will skip all of the long Sandcastle build steps.

However, if all that is required is an update to the workshop's project file, then you can update the help1x.config template found in your project's Help\Settings\Projects folder.

- Dave