HelpContext ID

Topics: General Questions
Dec 8, 2008 at 9:08 PM
Please bear with me, I am extremely new with creating documentation for my applications and do not know all the lingo that I've seen used here.

I'm creating an example application for a software development kit.
I've used DocProject to generate a help file for this sdk and have linked it in to the example application (using the HelpProvider's SetHelpKeyword method)

After creating the help file and how to link it into the example application ...someone came a long and asked me to match the "Help IDs" to their list of HelpContext ID's.

Naturally I have no idea how to do this and I don't even know if it's possible.

I'd really appreciate any information on the topic of how to set HelpContext IDs for my topics using DocProject.

Thanks for your help!

(Aside: I'm very pleased with how easy DocProject was to use am happy with the layout of the resulting help file.)

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM
Hi,

I had to do some research on this because I'm not familiar with HelpContext either.  Here are some references that may prove to be useful:

How to create an HTML Help system by using either the HTMLHelp API or the HTML Help in Access
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828419

The above link is for Microsoft Access and the HTML Help Workshop but it provides instructions on how to map a Help Context ID to a Topic Identifier and a Topic Identifier to an HTML topic.

I don't think Sandcastle provides support for this already so you may want to add it as a feature request.  I guess the idea would be for Sandcastle's ChmBuilder utility to generate a Map file (.h like a C++ header) and auto-generate Help Context IDs for each topic.

Note that DocProject provides the HTML Help Workshop project file as ChmBuilder's config file named, help1x.config in your project's Help\Settings\Projects\ folder.  So any instructions that correspond to an .hhp file should be applied to the help1x.config file instead.

Here's another related link that may help:

How do I setup my HTML help to use context help ids?
http://www.helpware.net/htmlhelp/how_to_context.htm

- Dave