Generate only documented classes & methods

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:22 PM
Edited Dec 9, 2008 at 3:23 PM
Hi guys,

great tool, I have downloaded and tested it and it works great.

I have one question: I am having the requirement to be able to only generate those classes & methods which are documented within a class library.

Is there an easy way to accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Best regards
Stefan
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2008 at 4:06 PM
Hi Stefan,

That's an interesting requirement.  You have a couple of options:

1. Use Topic Explorer to manually exclude individual topics.
  2. Create a custom dynamic filter.

For the second option I recommend downloading DocProject Extensibility Samples 1.0 since it contains an example dynamic filter that you can use as a guide.

Your filter will have to load all XML documentation files into memory when it is initialized and then look-up the current topic that is being processed to see if documentation actually exists.  Unfortunately, the current design of the filter interface does not provide any contextual information about the build, such as the location of XML documentation files.  Therefore, you'll have to make that a configurable property of the filter.

Once your filter library is created you can use the Topic Filters tool window (accessed via the filter button on the Topic Explorer toolbar) to add the dynamic filter to your project.  Instructions are on the extensibility samples release page.

I'll create a new work item for providing a reference to the current BuildContext, or at the very least the project path, to the filter when it's initialized.

- Dave

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2008 at 4:12 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.