buildhelp/assembler folder locked up

Topics: Bugs
Feb 7, 2009 at 12:59 AM
Hi,

I was using the DocProject and it looks working pretty well, until now I got this problem. I can only build the project once, then this output/intermediate folder got locked up. If I try to build again, I got the error saying:

Starting help build for XXXHelp...

Preparing target directory...

System.IO.IOException was thrown during build preparation

The process cannot access the file '...\...\buildhelp\assembler' because it is being used by another process.



Now I can not delete the folder from the file explorer either. Until I reboot, or logoff and logback on, the folder will be free. So which process is locking this folder?

Lee

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:31 AM
Hi Lee,

It happens repeatedly, even after you reboot?  It's hard to say why that would happen.

Do you have a virus scanner running? - try disabling it temporarily.

Perhaps Windows is locking the folder while it indexes the files - this has happened to me before on Vista.

The only thing I can recommend is to reboot and then try reproducing the problem without opening Topic Explorer, just to be sure that it's not failing silently for some reason when reading the TOC and inadvertently locking files in that folder (this hasn't happened to me in practice, but I wouldn't rule it out just yet).

You can install a program such as Process Explorer to find out exactly what process is holding on to the file handle.  If it's devenv.exe then it's probably an issue with DocProject, although it could also be an issue with VS if, for example, you have added this directory to source control or included it in your project so that it's visible in Solution Explorer.  VS seems to have a bad tendency to hold on to file handles longer than it should, on occasion.

- Dave
Feb 9, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Dave,

thanks for the quick response. I located the problem using "process explorer". There is a process called "conime.exe". It is the IME helper for asian language pack. It got loaded automatically by windows. Although I dont understand why it opened and locked the output file folder of Docproject, and it's the only folder it locked up, strange.

Anyhow, I disabled the conime now and everything works fine.

Lee

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Hi Lee,

Glad to hear that you resolved the issue.  Thanks for following up.

- Dave