More than one code reference in a DocProject

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM
Hi dave,

after i created a docproject that is used for generation of code reference documentation of a c# project i decided to add addtionaly another c# project. Is that possible at all?
Well i added the project to the solution and searched for a way to add another project for which a code reference documentation should be generated and included in the documentation, but if found nothing. Than i looked how this is generaly done and I found in the project file of the docproject a reference to my c# project and tried to add the other c# project by adding similiar xml lines. Unfortunatley this ended with severe errors in the build process.

What's the proper way to add two or more code projects to a docproject for generating code reference documentation?

Thx!

Greetings

Marc
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2009 at 3:41 PM
Hi Marc, 

Project references (also referred to as project-to-project references) is a Visual Studio feature that DocProject uses to indicate sources for documentation.  However, DocProject will only include project references as documentation sources if the referenced projects are of a supported type; this includes the typical VB.NET, C# and managed C++ project types.

You can also add external sources (e.g., assemblies, reflection.org files) in the DocProject Properties window, which is especially useful if you need to document a project type that is not supported as a project reference by DocProject.

To add a project reference to a DocProject or a DocSite:

1. Locate your project in Solution Explorer.
  2. Right-mouse click and select Add Reference...  The Add Reference dialog will open.
  3. Select the Projects tab.
  4. Select one or more projects.
  5. Click OK.

Note: The last step of DocProject's New Project Wizard allows you to choose from a list of projects within the active solution that DocProject supports as project references.  If you select any of the projects that are listed, they will simply be added to your DocProject or DocSite as typical Visual Studio project references.  Visual Studio's Add Reference dialog, however, does not know about DocProject's requirements and so there may be projects listed on the Projects tab that DocProject does not support as project references.  If you are unsure, you can try adding them and see if the documentation shows up.  If it doesn't show, then try adding the project's assembly output as an external source instead.

- Dave
Mar 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM
:-). Thx ! I should have tried the obvious way at first