Warning: There are no project references or sources for documentation.

Topics: Help 1.x/2.x, Sandcastle
Jul 10, 2009 at 3:13 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I just created a new DocProject (using the wizard) and added a reference to a Silverlight DLL (Silverlight project is configured to dump the XML documentation).  After building the DocProject, I receive a successfull build notification but it stops at the Help file creation with the following error:

Warning: There are no project references or sources for documentation.
Help build skipped.

I can't seem to find any information here or else where as to why or what is causing this error.  The only thing I've seen mentioned is that warnings can generally be ignored however I'm not getting a help file created when the build completes.  Am I missing something here?

I have installed the latest Sandcastle (and some Rev patch deal).  Visual Studio edition is Team System 2008 SP1.

Thanks,
Nick

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Nevermind seems I misunderstood something - didn't reference the project just the DLL for the project.

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Hi Nick,

You can use a project reference, as you've discovered on your own, or you can use an external source.  To add an external source (assembly, folder or wildcard path), use the External source property in the DocProject Properties window for your DocProject or DocSite.

Note that using project references is typically preferable when you can because it implicitly references the appropriate assembly output of each project based on the current solution configuration; e.g., Debug or Release.

- Dave