Command-line build not reflecting the changes in DocProject configuration

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:35 AM

I'm working on documentation for medium-size project. Unfortunately, I can't build documentation from Visual Studio because of System.OutOfMemory exception, as described in this post. I can build documentation using MSBuild, so it's just a minor nuisance.

However I've noticed another problem - when I change anything in DocProject properties for my project changes are not reflected using command-line build. I have to issue build from Visual Studio, wait for OutOfMemory exception and then issue MSBuild build to have desired effects. Of course I'm saving all changes in Visual Studio, before trying to build.

Bolek.

Coordinator
Aug 14, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Hi Bolek,

You have to save the entire solution: File Save All, or use the similar tool bar button (icon has multiple floppy discs).  This is an unfortunate side-effect due to the fact that the DocProject Properties window is actually just a tool window, not a document.

When a DocProject or DocSite is built it automatically pushes its unsaved changes to disc before the build.  So building is an alternative way to force the changes to be saved.

- Dave

Coordinator
Aug 14, 2009 at 2:10 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.